1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No air conditioning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In my office the air conditioning gets automatically turned off around 7 p.m., I presume, to save money.
    After a few hours in this heat, work is the last thing on my mind, but I know I have to get it done before I can leave.
    For those of you who work in similar conditions, how to you stay focused?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cold beer will take your mind off the heat....
    Tomorrow, walk into the office in a tanktop shirt, shorts, black socks and tennis shoes and say "WHOOOOO Sure was hot in here last night! Good thing I dressed for the heat again tonight." At that point, point to the cooler you've brought with you, look at your ME and say -- "Good thing these babies will be nice and cold by the time it gets over 80 in here...."
    Thermostat will be at 75 before you know it...

3. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

Hilarious, I love it.

It's a friggen freezer in my office every night. It's hard to type when your fingers are iced over.

4. ARD

ARD Member

Has anyone told them that computers really, really don't like heat?

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The "Office Space" strategy, I like your thinking.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

For a moment I thought you were referring to my apartment...

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Try not having it in your car and living in a place where it is at least 105 degrees everyday. Anymore, I drive shirtless to work and with all the windows down it feels like one big heater blowing on me. It is special. Of course, in the office it is ice cold, so cold I wonder how my body handles going from extreme heat to extreme cold. Maybe I will die tomorrow. Who knows.

8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I used to lack air conditioning in my lodgings, as I'm sure many of us did in leaner days. I got through it by adopting an attitude that was both stoic and self-congratulatory. "Man, it's 92 indoors at midnight. I'm so hardcore, unlike all those refrigerated pansies." Maybe that's stupid but it got me through the heat...when faced with something I really hate it seems best to embrace it rather than try to fight something you know you can't beat.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That doesn't save money, though, because the thing has to work harder the next day.

At one office, they ran the AC during the winter. The heat rose from the offices below, so rather than adjust that thermostat, they decided to give us a blast of cold air.

Later that winter, we got another treat: An entire weekend without heat. Apparently the people below were too hot, so their solution was to turn off the heat and leave it off. Somehow no pipes froze or burst.

When our fearless leader told us about the rationale behind that one, I said: "You know, at my house as long as I can remember, we just turned down the heat if it was too warm. Do these people understand that concept?"

And people wonder why newspapers are headed the way of the dinosaur ...

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and to think, i thought it was because of page designers

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's similar to the dinosaurs dying off. The thermostat thing could be the climate part of it, while the designers could be the tiny, disease-spreading vermin that gradually consume more of the foliage.

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

we're just the opposite. in the winter it's too hot, in the summer it's too cold. It'll be 102 outside and inside it's freezing. I think these building supers need to have a convention and get this shit right.

Draft saved Draft deleted