1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No.7 baseball team in NJ fires coach for cursing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, May 8, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The subtitle for this thread should be ... another day, another crybaby parent gets a coach fired

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't like crybaby parents who look to get even over playing time. But when one person says he never said something and more than one other person says he did, I'm betting the guy really did say it.

I don't care if a coach cusses, but telling players they suck is wrong and bad coaching. I'd fire his ass, too.
  3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

"It's just a matter of people who are mean-spirited. It comes back to playing time and the positions their kids play."

That's probably true and about all I need to know.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Kinda flimsy evidence to fire a guy on. Maybe a suspension to quiet the parents and a very strongly-worded reprimand letting him know he'll be canned if he says anything like that again. But unless you have a witness that was actually in the huddle, a player, willing to accuse the coach, it just sounds like giving in to whiny parents to me.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What makes you think they don't?

How many times have you quoted a person that says he never said something?

All the time, right?

A coach on a rant is likely to forget he told little Johnny that he sucks. But I doubt L'il Johnny will forget.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Man, fuck that.
  7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Parents getting involved aside....Is it a coincidence or something more that involves the coach getting fired after the team's first loss of the season?
  8. outofplace

Maybe they do...but if I read your post correctly, you were assuming the coach's guilt just based on parents saying he said something out of line. I know I've seen a few coaches railroaded out of jobs on bullshit like this. I assume you have, too, if you ever covered preps.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not successful ones. Parents bitch all the time. I assume that an AD wouldn't pull the trigger unless he had some proof.

And my experience is that when people say they didn't say something -- they probably did.
  10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If you can't take being sworn at, maybe competitive sports aren't for you.
  11. outofplace

I have seen it with successful coaches. Often. All it takes is a few parents with an agenda. Maybe a board member whose little superstar never got enough playing time.

And your assumption that people are always lying when they deny they said something...well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree there.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't say they are always lying. I just think the odds are that they are covering their ass or don't even realize they said it or that it was taken the way it was.
Draft saved Draft deleted