1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No. 1? Who cares. Who's No. 3?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 25, 2007.

?

After WVU/Mizzou, who's next in line?

1. LSU

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Kansas

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Ohio State

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Arizona State

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Georgia

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Virginia Tech

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. Oregon

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Oklahoma

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm really interested in where Hawaii ends up in both polls (I'd like to think top 10) as well as the BCS.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

another vote for asu because i could give two shits.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A team that beat Notre Dame in Week 1 can say it has a victory over a "team ranked in the Top 25 when the two teams played."

Which means it has NOTHING.

And people need to quit looking at the loss column and start looking at the win column.

Quality wins > number of losses.

It's easy as hell to avoid losses. All you have to do is not play anyone.

But to beat quality teams, you actually have to, you know, beat quality teams.

Let me try to explain it this way:

You have two tennis players.

Player A is 11-0, with his biggest victory over the No. 95 player in the world.

Player B is 9-2, with victories over Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick but with losses to Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic.

Are you really going to vote Player A over Player B?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, because I don't give a shit about tennis. :)

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Here is my nightmare end-of-season scenario:

West Virginia and Missouri both lose and bid bye-bye to the title game.

LSU loses to Tennessee.

Virginia Tech loses to BC.

ASU loses to Arizona.

Oregon and USC both lose.

Hawaii loses to Washington.

So after all that it's Ohio State vs. who the f&^%$ in the title game?

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Georgia.
    But West Virginia ain't losing. The rest of those could happen, though.
    Georgia-Ohio State would be fun, both being in the clubhouse now, as it were.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would rank Kansas ahead of Ohio State because I don't think Ohio State could score enough points to keep up if they played. Just an opinion, but a strong one.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Part of the reason I raised the question because the BCS suits can't let Georgia, which didn't make the SEC title game, into the national title game.

Well, I'd have a difficult time let KU back in the mix after losing to Mizzou.

And how can you allow Georgia in the title game when it didn't make its league title game and, under my scenario, lost by 21 to the league champ? (Tennessee).

I just want to see it blown up. That's all.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Armageddon, you and I both want it blown up. The BCS is an offense against the very idea of competition that is the point of sports.
    But there's no logical reason to say a loss that took place two weeks later than another loss is more damaging to the loser's status. That's having an OPINION-based playoff system, which is insane.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Why not USC?! ;D

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

And a team's record should be considered within the context of, you know, the teams they played. When the BCS standings come out today, check that Top 25 and tell me Ohio State's record against it. Then tell me LSU's and tell me all one-loss records are the same and all two-loss records are worse.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

For those who think Hawaii's record is reason enough to give them a BCS title game -- let's say Notre Dame were to punt most of their schedule in 2008 and go with one that included Army, Duke, Florida International, Temple, Tulane, Idaho, SMU, Buffalo, Navy, Air Force, Savannah State and VMI. And they went 12-0. Would the Hawaii fans be demanding Notre Dame get in the BCS title game?

Draft saved Draft deleted