1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No. 1? Who cares. Who's No. 3?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 25, 2007.

?

After WVU/Mizzou, who's next in line?

1. LSU

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Kansas

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Ohio State

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Arizona State

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Georgia

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Virginia Tech

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. Oregon

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Oklahoma

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Has a team ever lost a game only to fall a spot in the rankings after? I don't see Kansas ranked No. 3.
    Ohio State should be No. 3, followed by USC.
    Seriously, anyone who has Georgia or LSU over USC is a SEC fanboy looser.

Yes USC lost to Stanford, but Georgia lost to Tennessee, who lost to Cal and Alabama. Then LSU lost to Kentucky, who lost to Tennessee.
    They're nearly equal, but USC deserves the higher rank.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I voted for Kansas as well. Ohio State hasn't beaten anybody all that great either. Michigan's not a great team. Wisconsin is decent, I guess. Penn State is kind of eh. Against the one good team Ohio State played (at home), it lost.
    Oh well, I guess if the Buckeyes do get a shot at the BCS title, they can try to get another phantom pass interference call from a ref who I'm sure had money on the game.

3. hungry hippo

hungry hippo New Member

No fanboi shit there.

4. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Let it go, man. Let it go. I was a few feet from the end zone, directly behind the play. It was a legitimate, but super-late, call.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Super late? No kidding ... I think they already had the trophy ceremony for Miami, the confetti, etc., when that guy threw the flag.

6. jakewriter82

But you have to admit they're a hot football team right now. How does anyone with a vote really know which team is better when the writers and coaches who vote more than likely haven't seen much of the teams outside of their area other than a few highlights here and there? I get tired of talking about the whole system because the same flaws present themselves year in and year out.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So which is it? Do they deserve to be ranked higher than Georgia and LSU because somehow losing to Tennessee is worse than losing to Stanford? Or do they deserve to be ranked higher because they're "hotter."

Because while I'm not advocating Georgia be ranked No. 3, Georgia is 6-0 in its past six, and USC's not. And those six include wins over everybody's favorite super-QB, the guy who actually IS the best QB in the league and two teams that nearly beat the SEC Eastern Division champ.

8. jakewriter82

Well, I'll take your word for it.
    If you look at Kansas' schedule...they only top 25 team they've beaten was Kansas State.
    Then you look at Ohio State, they've won 4 top 25 games, but against fairly low-ranking teams in the Big 10. No. 23 Purdue, No. 25 Penn State, and No. 21 Wisconsin and Michigan.
    Now I have no idea which of the three teams is the better among them, having not seen them play all year.

Because USC has just 3 wins among top 25 teams, including No. 14 Nebraska -- who quickly nosedived, I think Ohio State should be No. 3; they have more wins within the top 25. Doesn't mean they're the better team, though.

9. jakewriter82

Georgia has a strong case too, I just don't see it. Their 6 straight wins probably should get them some recognition. I guess, my point is -- I have no idea and really when it comes to it there's a lot of other people who don't either.

10. jakewriter82

Unless you're Boise State or Hawaii, you mean, right?
    I stand with Ohio State then, they've got 1 loss and have more wins in the top 25.

11. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Yes, it seemed that way. I'm pretty sure I could have counted, one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand, between the end of the play and when I saw him throw the flag.

But having seen the replay many times, I still think the call was legitimate. That being said, I've seen contact that was worse go uncalled.

12. soccer10k

soccer10k Member

Hawaii had better get into a BCS game. I don't think they deserve National Title consideration and I don't think they're a top-5 team in the nation, but they're top-10.

Draft saved Draft deleted