1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NM sportswriter fired after losing foot to Diabetes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 9, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He's going to win a lot of money.

Ace likes this.
  2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

This story is about as low as it gets on the employer's part -- but unfortunately, not a surprise anymore.

My former longtime employer had a way of shifting veteran reporters and editors who were coming back from serious illnesses into "less stressful" work -- usually the equivalent of counting paper clips. Doing menial duties would often frustrate them into early retirement, which was probably the paper's intent all along. I got a real kick out of it when someone who fell into this category moved to another paper and did award-winning work.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I know -- or, at least, I think -- this was suggested in jest and somewhat sarcastically. But the concept actually isn't a foreign one in the work world, and could have and should have been a viable alternative to summary termination blamed on health or injury issue. Even if the employer were to argue that the reporter really could not reliably do his job, to do so and to fire him without any discussion or offer of other possible roles makes this an easy case in favor of the reporter.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Apparently, this paper never heard of—or at least never read—the ADA. Hope they get taken to the cleaners.

On an unrelated note, how badly was referenced story written?

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Painfully bad.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

According to some of my boses, to work on the desk you don't legs...or a brain....or guts to standup for your self while they rip on your overworked ass. [/rant]

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Better run that rant through the copy desk.

spikechiquet and Songbird like this.
  8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

He did, but the editor had three or four dozen more rants to go through, so it only got a cursory glance ... :)

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

For some of us who are responsible for keeping stats, running a live blog, tweeting updates and writing a deadline story on the fly, walking the sideline isn't an option. Just getting Internet access is challenging enough.

Ace likes this.
  10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

This kind of shit happens more than most know. I'm stuck using a cane the rest of my life, but I can work with minor accomodation. I interviewed for a non-newspaper job last year, but it was an office job, not doing construction. So I met the guy doing the interview, and we started walking down a hallway, and I fell behind because I'm not that fast now. He got probably 100 feet away before he realized I was behind him. He stopped, looked at me with disdain, and said, "You know, this is a fast-paced environment." I knew right then I wasn't getting the job, and I didn't. Lot of assholes out there.

But I'm covering high schools again, so I must not be completely worthless.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You're better off not working there. Who wants to work for an ass who measures the worth of an employee by how fast they walk down the fucking hallway?

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Run, run, run, run
    Run, run, run, run
    You better run

Draft saved Draft deleted