1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NLI question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UPChip, Apr 27, 2011.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Quick question since I'm not well-versed in the ways of college athletics...

...had a kid from the region who signed a NLI with our local U. Does that mean he's getting scholarship money or can one be signed and still a walk-on?

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Scholarship papers and the NLI are two entirely different sets of paperwork. You can have one without the other.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I thought you have aid for one year with an NLI? Hopefully it's a DI NLI and not a fake DIII or NAIA one.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You get some aid, at least for a year.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/NLI/Frequently+Asked+Questions/General/By+signing+a+National+Letter+of+Intent+am+I+guaranteed+that+I+will+play+on+a+team

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Roger Clemens just phoned to let me know I mis-remembered this. Thanks for correcting me and supplying the link.

7. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I think you are mis-interpreting that rule. What the rule is saying is that in the event of a scholarship being offered, the school guarantees it will pay the scholarship through a full year when you sign an NLI. It does not guarantee that you will play.

That being said, I have seen players who are walk-ons sign letters of intent. In that case, I believe the purpose of signing is so that the other schools are no longer allowed to recruit the player.

Draft saved Draft deleted