1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL West Baseball Writers Needed

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by zooped, Mar 21, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They have to wait until the AP writers file so they can get the box score and the game information, then write their own story and put it on Twitter for MAXIMUM EXPOSURE!

2. zooped

zooped New Member

Mustang - I'm just an employee of rotoinfo - These postings are part of my job I get paid for this - I'm wondering who's paying you to continuously post?

Rotoinfo has employed around 10 writers who are members of this forum over the last year and a half, and now have created 30 new positions for this baseball season and if all goes well we will have the same format for NBA and NFL bringing that total to over 100 writers...

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm going to jump in here and add my two cents.

Zooped, I wouldn't take it personally. On this board in the last several years we've had a lot of sites pop up and offer writing and editing chances, only to find out that what's being offered isn't what was advertised.

I have heard of Rotoinfo and it is a good service to get fantasy info from each day... in this age of rapidly disappearing websites it's good to get fantasy info where you can.

The problem lies in how much money you can apparently make from this site. I'm afraid you'd be writing three long stories, around 3,000 words, for $15 to $20.

Before Sports Direct hired a bunch of writers from Fan House -- and good for David Purdum for putting them to work -- I wrote basketball recaps and previews for two months. $26 a preview, $12 a recap. That's pretty decent money. My checks from them for November and December were pretty good.

If Rotoinfo is hiring for positions like that, I'm sure you'd get more attention on the board. Instead, we tend to get a bit defensive. (See the Coaches Aid thread for an example of how things can go really sour quickly)

4. zooped

zooped New Member

Thanks Steveu,

I have been perfectly honest with every question that I have been asked .. I'm not promising the world and not delivering I'm only stating the truth.

The contracts are to protect the writers as well as rotinfo.. Every contract has an optout option.. We are going to try our best to promote these team pages and we have provided every tool possible and will be promoting each individual team page.

If it works out I'm sure by this time next year we'll have over 100 writers on staff covering every MLB NFL and NBA team...

To be honest it's hard not to take it personal...

And I'm sure by some of the members reactions other sites have been reluctant to put out offers.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think we're just looking at fair compensation. Granted, you probably don't know what these sites will generate, and I have to admit I was looking at this site, but the pay issue came to mind with me. I've written fantasy articles before for KFFL.com...

I don't think any of us are expecting to make $200 an article or anything like that. Considering most papers pay $35-$75 for a stringer story, that's where the defense comes in.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm wondering the same thing.

Moddy, when is that paycheck coming?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Most of the Twitter followers seems to be spam or PR accounts. It's maximum exposure.

The gig is a joke, especially since whoever gets these positions doesn't get any guaranteed money.

Zooped, Rotofinfo is not hiring writers to cover a team, it is hiring writers to regurgitate stats or news gathered by journalists.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There is.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Hey, bots are people, too.

10. zooped

zooped New Member

They been writing for the last 2 days but today is the official launch when you get a chance check out a few stories.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Do you guys employ photographers? Who takes all the photos that appear on your site? I don't see any photo credits.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Fair use since it's on the Internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted