1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL ROY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Sep 4, 2006.

?

Who is most deserving of the NL Rookie of the Year

1. Marlins SS Hanley Ramirez

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Marlins 2B Dan Uggla

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Marlins SP Josh Johnson

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Nationals 3B Ryan Zimmerman

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  5. Marlins SP Scott Olsen

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Marlins OF Josh Willingham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Dodgers PF Andre Ethier

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Brewers 1B Prince Fielder

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm not dismissing him because of it, but I am deducting for it.

It's EASIER to get those stats under those circumstances.

I tried.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No, it isn't. It's harder when your team sucks balls. At least that's my thought on that.

Whatever. He's had a hell of a year, on that we agree. If he wins, I'm happy. If he doesn't, I'm not pissed if Uggla does.
    I just don't want him dismissed because the Nats blow britches. And you're not, so we're cool on that.
    He's become so much more disciplined at the plate. I thought he was smidge overmatched earlier in the year. Two strikes almost always led to a third.
    Not anymore.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize sac flies were only good for a half run.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I had exited this thread, shaking my head.

But since you decided to pipe up.

Chalk up another post to the intellectually dishonest.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Ramirez makes outs MORE OFTEN than Zimmerman. He gets on base LESS FREQUENTLY. He hits with LESS POWER.

And again, Zimmerman is the superior defensive player.

You have too many facts working against you, Colombo.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Fact is, they are in a dead heat in the three categories you mention.

Fact is, Zimmerman's production is slightly above average among third basemen.

Ramirez's is top 5 among shortstops.

You really don't get the importance of Ramirez's 44 steals, either. Eighty-four times, Ramirez has gotten himself to second or third all by himself. In addition he has 13 HRs from middle infield position.

His steals and slugging percentage have allowed for him to score on groundouts and sacrifice flies dozens of times.

I know none of this sinks in, but I still enjoy instructing you.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is why I quit trying. I'd be ashamed typing shit like that.

You're not smarter than everyone else ... you just think you know something the rest of us don't.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The way I feel about cats signaling Sieg Heil!

9. I hate agreeing with Pube, but he makes a few valid points:

HanRam's production is quite good for a SS, while Zimmerman was about an average offensive third baseman this year. Not that he doesn't have tremendous upside, to channel Mel Kiper, but 18 bombs and .476 slugging from a third baseman isn't as valuable as .459 OPS, 13 bombs, 100 runs and 44 SBs from a shortstop.

Ramirez, meanwhile, has hit 10 of his 13 homers since July 1. He struggled for stretches in the first few months, but he has really come on of late -- his OPS was .726 on June 21, and now is back up to .807. He makes errors, like all young players do, but he is a terrific young player who will make the Red Sox regret trading him. He could break the Marlins record for runs scored in a season, and his 80 percent stolen base success rate is very good -- not excellent, but very good.

My one quibble with Pube is his contention that HanRam's steals put him over the top. Stolen bases is one of those stats whose value has been inflated by the popularity of fantasy baseball. As long as a player converts at least 75 percent of his SB attempts he is helping his team, so Hanley is definitely valuable in that department. But let's not go overboard -- his SBs help him as much as Zimmerman's excellent defense helps him.

That being said, both would be fine selections for ROY, or Uggla. I'd probably vote for Ramirez, but Zimmerman winning would not be near the travesty Pubert makes it out to be.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I can live with all that.

Perhaps Josh Johnson will finish with 16 wins and make it even more interesting.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Had I known Columbo was the former Pube, I would not have argued so much before. Should have known. My apologies.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I feel the same way, Oz.

Should have known. Should have known.

Draft saved Draft deleted