1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL ROY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Sep 4, 2006.

?

Who is most deserving of the NL Rookie of the Year

1. Marlins SS Hanley Ramirez

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Marlins 2B Dan Uggla

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Marlins SP Josh Johnson

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Nationals 3B Ryan Zimmerman

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  5. Marlins SP Scott Olsen

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Marlins OF Josh Willingham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Dodgers PF Andre Ethier

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Brewers 1B Prince Fielder

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bottom line, Hanley's defensive numbers aren't great compared to his peers. And there's no hiding that, or the fact that defensive stiffs like Angel Berroa and Clint Barmes have better fielding percentages that Hanley, which is why I compared his numbers to his peers in the first place.

Ninth-most errors among all MLB players. Fifth-most errors among all MLB shortstops.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dude, you compared center fielder errors with shortstop.

You don't get it, and I can't help you.

Nothing has been absorbed yet, so why would that change?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You factor in defense as 95 percent of the grade, and I guess you can vote for that guy with a straight face.

Guess this is what happens to your brain when you watch too many Royals games.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Royals would be competing for the wild card with the Marlins had they played in the NL. No joke.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Bizarro Man pipes up again.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

At this point I'm just post-padding to see how quick you reply. I can't believe you take the NL ROY vote so seriously. Even for a Marlins fan, all 1,000 of you.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Want facts, oh petulant Colombo?

Ramirez: .285 avg, .348 obp, .459 slugging. Has 13 HR, 49 RBI, 104 runs scored. Of the players who have at least 100 games at shortstop, he's sixth in range factor (4.57) and 13th in fieldering percentage. He has stolen 44 out of 55 bases.

Zimmerman: .286 avg., .352 obp, .476 slugging. Has 18 HR, 93 RBI, 71 runs scored. Of the players who have at last 100 games at third base, he's fifth in range factor (2.69) and third in fielding percentage. He has stolen 9 of 16 bases.

Both play in pitcher's parks, so nobody gets a boost there.

To sum it up, Zimmerman has a slightly better on-base percentage, a better slugging average and is a better defensive player at his position than Ramirez is. If you want to point to Ramirez's advantage in runs (104-71), then youll' have to accept Zimmerman's advantage in RBI (93-49). If you add up runs scored and driven in, Zimmerman has 164, Ramirez 153.

So Zimmerman generates more offense. He's the superior defender. If you want to point to the difference in stolen bases, keep in mind that Ramirez already gets credit for that in his runs scored. So how can you act huffy that somebody would consider him a better ROY candidate? I like Ramirez a lot, love his upside, but I can't make a ROY case for him over Zimmerman that's based on anything but emotion.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Nicely done.

Ninety-seven times, Ramirez has put himself into scoring position all by himself (or driven himself in).

That is absolutely huge.

And, while Zimmerman has fattened up with a bunch of RBI outs (which cheapen his RBI number, IMO), he is hitting .249 with two outs, with 30 RBI and a .416 slugging percentage.

Ramirez is hitting .299 with 22 RBI and a .467 slugging percentage with two outs. 45 percent of his RBI with two outs. Clutch.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I really don't care how many outs there are when a guy drives in his runs.

You're really stretching to find advantages for HanRam.

I just don't think it's an argument you can win.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If you give up an out to drive in a run, it is a lesser RBI than if you get on on a hit or walk.

Are you going to argue that?

And, success in a pennant race is a greater success than when your team is 25 games ahead or behind in the standings. Simply is.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nothing meaningful in June when he whacked that walk off against Wang.
    Or on July 4 when he drilled one off Borowski. If the Marlins miss by a game, let 'em eat that.

I'm clearly very biased.
    I'll also say that Uggla winning the award would be fine by me. Hell of a year.

But to dismiss Zimmerman because his team sucks is a joke. This ain't MVP. This is rookie of the year. And you have a 20-homer, 100-RBI guy with a strong batting average who plays the living fuck out of third base.
    If he wins, it is well earned.

Draft saved Draft deleted