1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL ROY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Sep 4, 2006.

?

Who is most deserving of the NL Rookie of the Year

1. Marlins SS Hanley Ramirez

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Marlins 2B Dan Uggla

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Marlins SP Josh Johnson

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Nationals 3B Ryan Zimmerman

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  5. Marlins SP Scott Olsen

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Marlins OF Josh Willingham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Dodgers PF Andre Ethier

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Brewers 1B Prince Fielder

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That is an exaggeration.

I've seen the guy play a dozen times this year, and, frankly, Caminiti and Rolen were/are better.

What are you utterly ignoring:
    Tougher park
    Tougher defensive position
    Tougher offensive position
    In the middle of a playoff race
    You utterly ignored it because you popped a chubby watching him play third.

It's also amazing how stolen bases are totally disregarded on this board.

I swear, the fucking things should just be added to slugging percentage so as to get through some of the dim bulbs.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Um, what? I never even read your comment. While at work, I saw the thread title, clicked, voted, then posted. I didn't take the time to know your take or anyone else's -- I posted then quickly got back to work. You think way too much of yourself to actually believe I made that posted just for you.

My argument for Zimmerman is this -- he bats third for a team, which speaks volumes about how much they value his bat. He's batting .286 with 18-93-9. He's also shown a knack for game-winning hits.

While I like Hanley, I just don't see it, especially given the other great rookies on that team.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wow.

I guess you and I had different math teachers.

Just jaw-dropping.

And total dismissal of Zimmerman playing zero meaningful games in the standings.

I want to keep a list of you people around for the next time you try yapping about how leading a team to or near the playoffs should be a determinant in some other vote.

Christ on a sidecar.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, we didn't have different math teachers. I'm simply looking at a different set of numbers. The fact that Zimmerman should top 100 RBI soon and play a Gold Glove third base doesn't happen every day.

You're taking this way too personally, Hanley.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Outing alert: Columbo is Bill O'Reilly. :D

You laid out your reasons - all valid -- for choosing Ramirez. Several, including myself, did the same -- unless you're reading another thread -- regarding Zimmerman.

We disagree. I don't see why you need to get all pissy. It's not like a bunch of us are touting Paul Maholm as a ROY candidate.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If Zimmerman wins, it would be just as offensive and inaccurate as Maholm.

I'm incredulous (you say pissy) because no one has shown the empirical data that supports such a pick.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Again, you're taking this way to personally, Hanley.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That's cheap talk. What you come up with when facts don't support you.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

So we're clear... I think Zimmerman WILL win, hands-down.

The sort of lazy, expedient result I have come to get way too used to from baseball writers.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, not incredulous. PISSY.

You debate like a petulant 11-year-old.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Not seeing facts from you either.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I gotta disagree with you on the idea that ROY should have anything to do with that rookie's team's place in the standings. Unlike MVP, which is about who is most valuable to their team (it says so in the name), ROY of the year should be based on strictly on who performed best (especially considering the best rookies should be coming up on teams that haven't done well in the standings in recent years).

Draft saved Draft deleted