1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Oct 1, 2006.

?

Who is it?

1. Ryan Howard (incredible second half, but 2 HRs and 11 RBI in final 21 games as Phils died)

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Albert Pujols (Many numbers pale with Howard's, but he had a huge finish)

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

A September stats comparison of Howard and Pujols is on the first page. BA, SLG, OBP and OPS all favor Howard. Columbo, though, has determined three weeks from the end of the season to be the magical date at which all MLB games become twice as important. Not two weeks. Not four weeks. Three weeks and three weeks only.

Coincidentally, this means you can't count Howard's two-homer game which occurred a day before his magical barrier.

2. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

If Rodriguez hits that home run, people would complain it was only the fourth inning.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He hit like a good No. 2 hitter the final three weeks.

He choked his ass off.

Pujols hit .421.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've stayed out of this debate after my initial post, but my god. Do you read your posts after you write them? More importantly, do you read your posts *before* you write them?

Howard didn't "choke his ass off."

His team had a better record than the Cardinals by a game and a half. Howard's stats are comparable to Pujols, both in September and all year long (although if Pujols was healthy all year, his numbers would have been that much higher.)

Howard was named as the NL Player of the Month for September today, after winning the same award in August. He was .387-9-21 in the final month of the season.

He didn't choke on anything. And his team would have won the Cardinals' division.

That said, either one can win the MVP and I wouldn't complain.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Don't throw facts at Columbo, they only confuse him.

Again, there should be no debate when either Pujols or Howard win the MVP. Both have the stats to back it up, and both meant a ton to their team's success.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Last three weeks: choke.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Keep saying it and maybe ... just maybe ... someone will eventually agree with you.

if you sign on under another screenname and say so yourself.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You take Howard.

Be my guest.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

ZING!!!

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Must have been one HELL of a first week of September for him to win the NL Player of the Month award while choking the final three weeks of the month.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You KNOW it was.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, you didn't make a very good argument here but I agree with this point:

I would take Pujols over Howard on my team any day, and twice on Sunday. I don't know that anyone's actually disputing that Albert is not the better player.

But this season ... just this season ...

Howard is the MVP. No disrespect to Pujols. But Howard is the MVP.

Pujols will go to Cooperstown. He'll win at least 2-3 more MVPs.

Howard gets this one, is all.

Draft saved Draft deleted