1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Oct 1, 2006.

?

Who is it?

1. Ryan Howard (incredible second half, but 2 HRs and 11 RBI in final 21 games as Phils died)

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Albert Pujols (Many numbers pale with Howard's, but he had a huge finish)

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Thank God.

Get the hell out of here.

2. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I don't think people understand how bad Pujols' supporting cast was this season, especially down the stretch.

The Cards had four above average offensive players all year: Duncan, Rolen, Edmonds and Pujols. Edmonds didn't play much the last six weeks. Over the last month, Duncan hit .212 with a .778 OPS and Rolen posted an OPS under .700.

It was Pujols and no one else. That's why the Cardinals fell apart.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And here I didn't realize Columbo=pube. Guess that explains his aversion to stats and facts, other than the "three weeks, but not the full month" window he keeps hanging onto so tight.

And don't think it's gone unnoticed that you've avoided pretty much every argument that's been made. No reason to let facts get in the way of what you're saying.

Trolls are so cute sometimes.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I won't deny that. At the same time, if you look at what Philadelphia was trotting out, other than Rollins and Utley, you might be surprised. I'll get into that later if it becomes an issue. For now, it's off to lunch.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The Phillies' team OPS was .794. The Cardinals' was .769.

Spanning 6,000 plate apperances, that's a significant gap.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

At the same time, and admittedly without stats to prove/disprove it yet, I'll suggest that Bobby Abreu might have had something to do with it. Let's not forget, this is a team that raised the white flag at the trade deadline and declared the season, and even the 2007 season as well, over.

In addition, I'm going to guess Howard and Pujols each had about the same amount of protection behind them -- little to none at all.

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Dellucci replaced Abreu and posted an .899 OPS, which was better than Abreu's for the Phillies.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

When Dellucci enters an MVP debate, that's a good sign the discussion has veered away from what -- or in this case, who -- really matters.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There is no clear winner, but this will be the "Lifetime Achievement" MVP balloting, with Pujols and Jeter both winning.

I have no problem with Pujols, though I do think Justin Morneau should beat out Jeter.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I think lifetime achievement breaks ties. Or it should. MVPs are later used to provide historical context. This is Pujols' second 1.100 OPS season in six years. That's an incredible feat.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I agree. And I do think Pujols deserves it.

Jeter on the other hand? Meh. He's a hell of a ball player. He didn't tie Morneau for the best season this year. But Morneau is relatively unknown, and Mauer and Santana will probably take some of the votes that he could get.

Yankee fans will orgasm.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I have an aversion to stats?

Do you know what the word "aversion" means?

Also, you stated that Howard dominated Pujols in the whole of September.

Prove it.

Draft saved Draft deleted