1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Oct 1, 2006.

?

Who is it?

1. Ryan Howard (incredible second half, but 2 HRs and 11 RBI in final 21 games as Phils died)

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Albert Pujols (Many numbers pale with Howard's, but he had a huge finish)

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

The Phillies record in the final three weeks - 13-6.
    The Cardinals record in the final three weeks - 9-10

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Try again....

11 RBI, 13-8 record.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Am I allowed to vote for Jose Reyes, or does that make me a cocksucker too?

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Fine. I'll make that fix, if it's necessary. Now do you care to ... you know, have an actual response?

BTW, my record was right. It's 13-6.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If you think I'm going out of my way to disagree with you, you're crazy. When I ripped on Uggla in the ROY thread, I did so using your own standards for that award, not my own, to expose a flaw in your argument.

I said it before in the NL ROY thread, but because you don't listen, I'll say it again -- you do not select the ROY the same way you do MVPs. ROY, you go based on great performance, regardless of records.

Going into September, I thought Pujols should still be MVP. But down the stretch, we all saw what Howard did to push the Phillies to the brink of the playoffs. They both played well during the last month of the season, when the Philles made the push for a wild card and the Cardinals nearly completed the biggest regular-season collapse in MLB history. And that is what sticks in my mind here.

But I learned a long time ago not to talk logic with you, pube -- you only call others names to prove your "points."

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Let's get this straight:
    a. You just dissed a guy for hitting ,384.
    b. You consider "one MVP moment" worse than ZERO MVP moments.

BTW, you also must not have watched that 3-2 Cardinals win.

Not only did Pujols lead off the eighth, down 2-0, with a single, but he also robbed David Bell of an RBI and extra bases with a diving spear of a line drive.

I know... defense doesn't count.

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

For the 1,945,234th time, NO PLAYER EVER CARRIES A BASEBALL TEAM. It just doesn't happen. Please stop saying it.

The Phillies were better in the second half because their starting pitching was better. They had the best offense, in terms of runs scored, all season.

The Pujols vs. Howard debate is a toss-up. They both had incredible seasons. Pujols has a slight edge in OBP, slugging and a huge edge in RISP stats. He's the better overall player and the better player for his career. I think that breaks the tie.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Until Columbo actually produces a little evidence ... other than "Ryan Howard sucked the last three weeks and Pujols had the type of week that defines MVP", I'll go ahead and make the call of "Troll."

And, Columbo, by evidence, I mean something which actually backs up your argument. Maybe try and find a fact or two that suppots your argument.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

So, now the first eight games of September is considered "the stretch"?

I have to keep up with you switching definitions and parameters as frequently as you do to make your posts.

Howard was great until Sept. 8.

If the season ended then, he would have had my vote.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

2 HR, 11 RBI after Sept. 8.

All that needs to be said.

Pujols in same stretch:

5 HR, 21 RBI after Sept. 8. In the middle of an utterly inferior lineup.

You have NO facts that trump that.

No shot.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

a. "Dissing?" No. Simply pointing out a FACT, which you seem unable, or unwilling, to do. YOU'RE the one who accused a guy that hit .353 of "sucking the tailpipe".
    b. No, I don't. Pujols had ONE moment in a week. Last time I checked, though, MVPs weren't awarded for one game.

And I'd like to congratulate Pujols for making that one great defensive play. Guess that's why the Cardinals made the playoffs and the Phillies didn't. That, and the fact they were in the worst division in baseball.

I'll give jag credit, though. He at least is trying to support his argument.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Since September 8:

Howard, 28 walks
    Pujols, 14 walks

Guess the pitchers and managers are more afraid of Howard, huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted