1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL MVP - Joey Votto

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Also, this is an illustration of how the media has finally become aware of the fact that Joey Votto is the absolute best player in major league baseball and has been for years now.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How are MVP clauses not in every contract?

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Do you honestly believe your own words? You don't think the margin in voting is relevant? You must have been really confused during the 2000 presidential elections.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm assuming this is the last year of his entry level contract so I guess no one figured it'd be a factor when the Reds signed him. NOW he will have an MVP clause.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That and Pujols is a roided up freak.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I suppose, but damn. Take five minutes and put that bonus clause in there. Just in case.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Really??
    Honest??

Well, I will be so damned. I had no idea.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who had a higher OBP and SLG percentage? what does batting average have to do with OPS? You do know what OPS is don't you?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Your man crush on Pujols must be overwhelming if you're comparing MVP voting to a presidential election.

So you'd feel better if Albert finished second with 8 first-place votes instead of one?
    He'd still be second.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds like Votto just got the standard renewal, and those early contracts are boilerplate and don't have clauses like that. Not sure if the Reds had tried to sign him through his arbitration years, but if they did and he said no, he's going to cash in in a big way. Instead of $4M a year and a one-time $100K bonus that he might have gotten by signing last year, he'll now be negotiating from a perch that could get him Ryan Howard money.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not like these guys were leaving Pujols off the ballot. Their statistics were close across the board. Votto's team beat Pujols' team for the NL Central title. It's that simple.

Draft saved Draft deleted