1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Gold Gloves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Actually they were on throws that Kouzmanoff wouldn't make, because he wouldn't have gotten to the ball.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Willie McGee did if I remember correctly.

EDIT: I just checked the stats, and his were good, not great.

3. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Bourn is spectacular. Well-deserved.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Kouzmanoff 311 total chances; Zimmerman 459 total chances.

Seems like Kouzmanoff was watching a lot of balls bounce into left field.

5. 93Devil

Washington pitchers probably faced 40% more hitters because they could get anyone out. :)

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

While San Diego kicked a lot of ass.
    Oh wait.

I like Kouzmanoff. Given a choice, would anyone really take him over Zimmerman? Yeah, me being a fanboy again. But Zimmerman is one Nat you can truly gush over without shame.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Your gushing over Zimmerman knows no shame...but at least he is a very good player.
    Hard to say that about too many Nats.

8. 93Devil

Zimmerman is the face of the franchise - Va Beach to UVA to DC.

He should be a lifer in DC. If the Nats are too pitiful to root for at least you can root for Zimm.

The Pirates tried to do the same thing with Neil Walker, but he sucks and probably will never be a decent major leaguer.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Walker was never as good of a prospect as Zimmerman, even before they switched him from catcher to third in a failed attempt to get him to the majors faster.

10. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

More like over his head. Or into right field. Also read a story that having a gold glove 1B helped his cause a bit too. And three weeks off in September didn't help either.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not quite.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=SDP&year=2009#hitlo

Righty batters pulled almost as many hits (189) to LF as lefty batters pulled for hits (191) to RF against Padre pitching, despite 30 fewer plate appearances (493 to 523).

And lefty batters went opposite field for more hits (134) to LF than righty batters did (101) to RF against Padre pitching, in just three more plate appearances (405 to 402).

Kouzmanoff had plenty of balls hit in his direction; he just doesn't get to any of them. Zimmerman does.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Re: Kouzmanoff-Zimmerman, I remember a similar debate when Vinny Castilla had the by far the fewest errors in the league one year with the Braves, but Scott Rolen won the Gold Glove. Castilla had great hands, but the range of an iceberg.

Draft saved Draft deleted