1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And yet three voters gave Bryant a first-place vote that season.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and apparently Drip is one of those voters.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. But I think Wainright and Halladay will get to 20. If so, Halladay will win, is my guess.

4. Dick Whitman

At which point I think we can begin the Halladay Hall of Fame talk. Let's say he finishes the season at 170. He'll probably need to get to the 240-250 range to have a realistic shot. Think he's got five or six more seasons in him?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pettitte, Halladay, Hudson, Sabathia, Buehrle, Zito and Santana are the guys over 30 who have a shot at the Hall someday.

Their chances? Based on nothing more than a guess and trying to figure out if their pitching style will allow them to keep winning late in their careers, here are my out of my ass handicaps.

Pettitte 60%
    Halladay 50%
    Hudson 40%
    Sabathia 80%
    Buehrle 25%
    Zito 20%
    Santana 50%
    Oswalt 30%
    Lee 1%

So maybe 3-4 pitchers from this group make the HOF.

Oh, Rivera is a 100% lock.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'll start the campaign for Halladay in the Hall of Fame right now.
    He's in. No question.

Pettite is not getting in Devil.
    Some of the others you mentioned have no prayer.

7. Dick Whitman

0%

To quote the great Neil Young: "I've seen the needle and the damage done."

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

J.C. I wasn't qualifed to vote in 73.
    spnite, yeah I know about the stats. I wasn't a Seaver guy and am still not. But the stats do speak for themselves, no matter how I feel.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You cannot have one pitcher every three or four years enshrined, which is where baseball is heading.

The thinking needs to change about pitchers. I think 235 wins and a strong career needs to get a pitcher in.

If Santana ends with 230 wins, and look at the list, a lot of those pitchers won't even hit 200, he should be in.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Barry Zito is a Hall of Fame candidate? Maybe if there's a display charting the evolution of the record for biggest contract, but he's currently working on his eighth consecutive season of double-digit losses, and his career ERA stands at 3.81.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They need to move away from wins as the predominant stat that gets you in the Hall.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought this was a Cy Young debate? Aren't there like 258 Hall of Fame threads?

Draft saved Draft deleted