1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Aug 19, 2010.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd have to go slightly in favor of Wainwright over Halladay at the moment -- plenty of time for this to play out -- but I really admire their complete game numbers.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Just for sake of argument, in two of his three losses he gave up only one run (a two-hitter early in the year to the Dodgers and last week's 1-0 loss to the Mets). He had the lead when he left in at least two non-decisions, including last Sunday's terrible blown save by Street. He had a tough July, but he's been back on for at least the past three or four starts. Not saying he should get it at this point, but I don't see how he's not in the mix.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

His quality starts compared to the rest of the pack don't bear out the idea that he is a victim of bad luck or just a couple of bad starts that makes his ERA misleading. He has 19 QS's this year, behind Wainwright and tied with Halladay. He's not in the mix right now.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He has been shelled in 4-5 starts this season. Hudson has given his team a realistic chance to win in every start this season.

5. Roscablo

Yet he's only lost three games (two of them when he gave up one run) and is tied for the league in wins. Doesn't that equal giving your team a chance to win just about every time? Again, I would agree he's not the front runner, especially after his July, but how's he not in the mix?

6. Dick Whitman

The wins are a red herring. Again, he has a much lower ERA than other guys in the running, and no real edge in quality starts, which to me would be one possible indicator that his ERA does not illustrate his consistency (ex. 24 quality starts in 26 starts or something like that, with two bad outings to skew the numbers).

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Again, you cannot be taken seriously. He leads the league in wins and has the fewest losses. Those are the determining factors in most voters minds.

8. Dick Whitman

No, you're the one who can't be taken seriously.

Those are not the determining factors. See Greinke, Zack. Lincecum, Tim.

If the vote were held today, Jiminez would finish no better than fifth.

9. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

You overrate wins my friend, a lot of people are blind with wins when it comes to rating some pitchers unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Jimenez as been good this season, but it seems like you're only looking at wins instead of the total picture.

There's a lot more to being a great pitcher then just getting the victory.

10. Roscablo

In this instance I was responding to a comment about giving his team a chance to win. The Rockies would be nowhere this season without him. I actually look at the losses more than wins. He has three losses and yes two of them happened when he gave up one run. I just don't see how you can ignore that.

11. Dick Whitman

Because there were three other times he was hammered and escaped with a ND.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then most voters are idiots, which I don't think is the case anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted