1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young .. whaddya think?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 3, 2008.

?

NL Cy Young

1. Webb

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Lincecum

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Sabathia

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Can't stay on for very long, but take a look at Cole Hamels' numbers. I know he doesn't have the wins, but all of his other numbers are right up there. He'd get my vote... if I had one to give.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Carlos Delgado would agree. He loves Cole Hamels.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Camels has very good numbers, but not as good as Lincecum's. The weak performance tonight against the Mets pushed his ERA up to 3.12.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And all this talk about wins being quasi-important is beginning to make me quasi-nauseous.

If I've got a starter who gives me six innings and leaves with a lead every time out, it's pretty damn big.

If you're going down with a bunch of 2-1 losses ... well, you gave up two runs when you couldn't afford to.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I went with Webb. I have a big problem (no pun intended) with Sabathia even drawing consideration since he was in the A.L. for roughly half the season. The Cy Young is supposed to reflect the entire season.

I think Lincecum can make a case, though he'll have other years to win one if all goes well.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If you want to win the Cy Young, you better not be leaving after six innings on a regular basis, lead or no lead.

It's Lincecum right now. Webb's recent slide has opened the door for him, and to do what he's done with a team as bad as the Giants is remarkable.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

In this case, Lincecum has left with a lead more often than Webb, but the bullpen has blown more of his games. I like winning percentage, more than wins, because the pitcher doesn't get penalized when he gets a ND because the 'pen blows it.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Santana has been just as good as Hamels if not better. Santana has a significantly better ERA (2.70 to 3.12) and they're very close in WHIP, BAA and K's. Both Santana and Hamels stack up quite well against Webb in every category except wins. As a matter of fact, that's just about the only category in which Webb has a clear edge over the other contenders, and his 3.41 ERA isn't as good as any of them. Not only does Webb not deserve the Cy, he probably doesn't even deserve to be second.

Draft saved Draft deleted