1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young .. whaddya think?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 3, 2008.

?

NL Cy Young

1. Webb

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Lincecum

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Sabathia

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Webb's final line in a big-time game:

5 2/3 IP, 5 H, 7 ER, 7 BB, 6 K

Oh, and Manny just hit a 2-run double to get his avgerage back over .400.

He's hitting a cool .403 with 11 home runs and 34 RBIs (that's for you Tomas) since the trade.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is three terrible starts in a row since taking a line drive off his ribs. It sure seems like he's hurting. That or Dan Haren's habit of late-season collapses has become contagious. Either way, you have to give Lincecum the edge right now.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OOP, sounds similar to Glavine breaking a rib down the stretch in 1992. He was 19-3 after winning on Aug. 19, then suffered the injury and went 1-5, 4.88, in his next six starts.

Braves had the division wrapped up and he finished 20-8, but it cost him the Cy Young.

4. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Thank you sir.

I can't believe some of you actually think Webb deserves it.
    Go look at his last three or four starts - absolutely atrocious.
    Any coincidence that Arizona has been overtaken by the Dodgers?

Lincecum has been the most consistent starter all season the NL.
    If Sabathia had another month like he's had the last two, I'd give it to him.

And you all shouldn't be so hung up on wins. It's the most quasi-important stat in baseball.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Sabathia ... hung up on IP right now, bullrog. You don't get the CYA as a starter with ~120-130 IP, or whatever he ends up with.

6. outofplace

It wasn't just wins that had people supporting Webb. This discussion was goin on before the current slump got this far. Before the three lousy outings, Webb was the more deserving candidate. Now, it's Lincecum.

Sure, it is easy to be smug and dismiss Webb now. More evidence came in. Were you saying Lincecum should win it two weeks ago?

7. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

I think you mis-interpreted what I meant.
    If he had another month in the NL and put up the same numbers as he has been, it would be his.

8. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

No, I wasn't.

The fact that Webb has gone in the tank has essentially handed the award to Lincecum.

I've followed Webb closely all year (fantasy team), and it's amazing how far downhill he's gone in the past few starts.
    You could pencil him in for 7+ innings, 3 ERs or less and a win for the first four months of the season every time out (save for those two bad starts in June).

Now it looks like he's worn down with the amount of innings he's worked and to be honest, maybe the pressure of the pennant race is getting to him.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Like I said, I have a vote, so I've been watching closely ... Webb was ahead by a little bit before these last three starts, but now Lincecum is ahead semi-comfortably. If he can par out, to use a golf analogy, he's got it. Webb needs some birdies.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

GREAT analogy, BB. Sabathia needs two birdies and the leader to bogey.

11. outofplace

Sounds like you followed Webb for the same reason I have. I don't think he has worn down. Webb has handled a heavy workload before. It's no coincidence that these three ugly outings came after he took a liner off the ribs. The Diamondbacks probably should have had him skip a start, try to get a little healthier.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

You see, this is why they don't give awards at the beginning of September.

Draft saved Draft deleted