1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young .. whaddya think?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 3, 2008.

?

NL Cy Young

1. Webb

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Lincecum

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Sabathia

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sutcliffe was 16-1 when he won it unanimously.

That said, unless the Brewers ride his arm to first place, he does not get it.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And his only real competition for the award that year was Doc Gooden, who went 17-9. (Although Gooden certainly got shortchanged -- his 276 Ks in 218 IP were phenomenal. We realize now how much more dominating he was than any other pitcher in 1984. But at the time, it looked like Sutcliffe well deserved it, and he won it unanimously.)

That said, as you can see from the <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL_2008.shtml">NL leaderboard</a> on B-R.com, Sabathia hasn't pitched enough innings to qualify for any of the league's leading stats. I think that makes it quite clear he doesn't qualify for the Sutcliffe exception.

And Lincecum truly is dominating, when you break it down like that. I've thought all along that Webb should win it, but I'm second-guessing that after looking at all the numbers. We'll see what happens this last month, but it's between those two.

3. 93Devil

Andujar did win 20 for the Cards that season, but it is hard to argue with 16 wins and only one loss.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

The award is presented to the best pitcher in the league. Right now, that's C.C.

5. 93Devil

The best pitcher in the AL last year at the end of the season was Joba. Did he deserve the Cy?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's taking the argument and extrapolating it to the nth degree.

Joba may have been the best pitcher for the final month. CC's been the best pitcher for the entire second half.

We're making the case for CC Sabathia, not Jeff Samardzjia.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Easy fanboy. He was not even close to the best pitcher in the AL at the end of last season.

Edit: Well put, shot

8. 93Devil

I know, but I did not like the best pitcher arguement. The Cy Young should be based on at least more than half of the season.

Sutcliffe had 20 NL starts and threw 150 innings when he won his, and the Cubs won the division.

9. 93Devil

If he was not the best pitcher in the AL at the end of last season, then who was?

Mariano? Seriously, if we go on the best pitcher arguement, he should have 4-5 Cys by now.

10. outofplace

You have to keep in mind how much Webb's numbers have changed over his last two starts. He was 19-4 with a 2.74 ERA after throwing seven shutout innings to beat the Padres Aug. 21. Those numbers stack up a heck of a lot better against Lincecum's than his current 19-6 with a 3.19 ERA. Since Aug. 21, Webb has given up 12 earned runs in eight innings.

11. outofplace

Sorry, my friend. You are absolutely hopeless on this one.

He was pitching an inning at a time as a set-up guy and finished with a total of 24 innings. He was not the best pitcher in the AL. He has absolutely no place in that discussion. I'm sorry the fanboy glasses won't allow you to see that.

12. 93Devil

So you are saying that a person who does not throw that many innings should not be considered fort he Cy Young, right?

Well until CC gets to about 130-140 innings in the NL, he should not even be in the conversation for the Cy. A half season is not a full season.

Draft saved Draft deleted