1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young .. whaddya think?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 3, 2008.

?

NL Cy Young

1. Webb

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Lincecum

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Sabathia

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think it should be Sabathia.

I also think it will be Lincecum. Who I think is fantastic, and who I think is going to have a dead arm in about three years with his motion.

buck, the other two have been superb, but have had chinks in their armor. CC has been flawless, topped by what was essentially a no-hitter on Sunday.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

If Sabathia is the Cy Young Award winner, Carlos Delgado is the MVP.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Except you don't Sabathia slow start with Cleveland for league reasons, whereas it all counts for Delgado. The argument that if one wins, so should the other doesn't hold true.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, yeah. That one-hitter, there's PLENTY of woulda-shoulda. ;)

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why not? Sabathia made his first NL start on July 8. The Brewers were 4 games out. Today, they are 4 1/2 games out.

Delgado started hitting in late June (after shit for brains got fired) when the Mets were 6 1/2 out. Now, they're up 3.

Delgado has been as good or better longer than Sabathia.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

And while we're at it, since the Mets have the best record in baseball since July 1, Jerry Manuel is a lock for NL manager of the year

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Another way to look at it, the Brewers and Cardinals were dead even for the wild card when the Brewers made that trade. Now they're 4.5 up on the Phillies and 5.5 up on the Cardinals in the wild card chase. Given how long it's been since the Brewers have made the playoffs, that's significant.

Delgado's made an impact for the Mets, sure, but he's still hitting .260. I would still be more inclined to vote for someone like Ryan Braun or David Wright first.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes. I considered that one as good as a no-hitter, too.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

To be fair, I considered that as better than any no-hitter I've ever seen. :D

Most dominant pitching performance in my lifetime, bar none.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The only one that is vaguely close for me is Clemens, ALCS 2001.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I totally agree with you there. Never saw any one performance to match that (Wood).

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, and I voted Sabathia, assuming he finishes the season as dominant as he has been.

I will admit, though, I didn't know Lincecum was doing so good, so I voted without knowing the facts.

Draft saved Draft deleted