1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 2, 2006.

?

Who would earn your first-place vote for the 2006 Cy Young Award?

1. Roy Oswalt 15-8, 2.98 ERA, 1.17 WHIP

17.8%
  2. Chris Carpenter, 15-8, 3.09, 1.07

24.4%
  3. Brandon Webb, 16-8, 3.10, 1.13, 235 IP

20.0%
  4. John Smoltz, 16-9, 3.49, 1.19

2.2%
  5. Aaron Harang, 16-11, 3.76, 1.27, NL best 216 K

4.4%
  6. Carlos Zambrano, 16-7, 3.41, 1.29, 210 K

4.4%
  7. Derek Lowe, 16-8, 3.63, 1.27

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Bronson Arroyo, 14-11, 3.29, 1.19, NL best 240-2/3 IP

2.2%
  9. No one -- The Cy Young shouldn't go to a No. 2 pitcher

15.6%
  10. Fill-in entry (post below)

8.9%
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You nailed that, down to the syllable.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

So why don't you?

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I can't do the 162.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well then perhaps you should be a little less nasty to those who do (and no, I am not one who does).

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Bull-fucking-shit.

The people entrusted with creating history with these awards should know what the fuck they are talking about.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just because they disagree with YOU does not mean they do not know what the fuck they are talking about. You've got opinions more rigid than a 13-year-old's johnson during his first slow dance. That's what makes the world and this message board go 'round. It doesn't mean you are right anymore than it means those who disagree with you are wrong.

The same goes for me and everyone else 'round here.

And I just think that those who do the 162-game grind deserve more--from EVERYONE who criticizes their award choices, not just you--than "they should know what the fuck they are talking about." Unless you're one of those doing the voting as well, in which case you're doing your part to change the process.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sounds pretty dead-on to me...

Nobody in the world is more irritating than someone who does not allow themselves the possibility of being wrong.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You're wrong, helmethead.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

??

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My only complaint with baseball awards is how few writers have yet to drift away from the Triple Crown stats (especially hitting, but also pitching) when it comes down to voting.

There are some writers -- like Jayson Stark -- who see OPS (for hitters) and WHIP (for pitchers) as an essential part of the comparison process, and that's a start. But many writers remain fixated on home runs (for hitters) and wins (for pitchers) as the be-all, end-all of statistical dominance.

That's why you see travesties like Bartolo Colon over Johan Santana ('05, AL Cy Young), and, to a much lesser degree, but as a point of argument, Webb over Oswalt ('06, NL Cy Young).

Once upon a time, there were no such things as Win Shares or Runs Created or ERA+ or park effects. But other than seamheads like Aaron Gleeman (who doesn't get a vote) and his ilk, I don't see much discussion of non-mainstream statistical measures when it comes to who should win MVPs, CYAs, ROYs, etc.

It's not like those stats are not readily available -- you just gotta start using 'em.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

How anyone can look at a) Oswalt's numbers as a whole and b) his incredible finish and not vote for him is, in this silly realm, an absolute travesty.

Right up there with Livan over Moises for 1997 WS MVP.

Draft saved Draft deleted