1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 2, 2006.

?

Who would earn your first-place vote for the 2006 Cy Young Award?

1. Roy Oswalt 15-8, 2.98 ERA, 1.17 WHIP

17.8%
  2. Chris Carpenter, 15-8, 3.09, 1.07

24.4%
  3. Brandon Webb, 16-8, 3.10, 1.13, 235 IP

20.0%
  4. John Smoltz, 16-9, 3.49, 1.19

2.2%
  5. Aaron Harang, 16-11, 3.76, 1.27, NL best 216 K

4.4%
  6. Carlos Zambrano, 16-7, 3.41, 1.29, 210 K

4.4%
  7. Derek Lowe, 16-8, 3.63, 1.27

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Bronson Arroyo, 14-11, 3.29, 1.19, NL best 240-2/3 IP

2.2%
  9. No one -- The Cy Young shouldn't go to a No. 2 pitcher

15.6%
  10. Fill-in entry (post below)

8.9%
  1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I agree. The home park doesn't do him any favors, either.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe someone can find out how many of the aforementioned would've had 20-22 wins had bullpens not blown leads. Coulda be a little better indicator.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

But no closer really had a dominant year either -- Hoffman had a 2.14 ERA. To me, a dominant closer needs a low 1 or a below 1 ERA to merit consideration.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Being from STL, it seemed like that happened to Carpenter fairly often, especially early in the season. And he had Isringhausen, he of the MLB-worst 10 blown saves closing for him.

5. Dignan

Dignan Guest

You forgot Zambrano's 6 home runs. Makes a nice tie-breaker.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oswalt or Hoffman, with Carpenter just behind them.

I'm tempted to give it to Hoffman. Aside from the ASG, and a blowup against the Braves two days later, he was dominant as ever and, with Peavy's struggles, was the leader of an inconsistent pitching staff.

Oswalt has long been one of the best pitchers in the NL. He was clutch as usual down the stretch, and no team in the league ever looks forward to facing him.

Numbers are all the same -- and all below-average, for a Cy winner -- so I don't think using them is going to make a much stronger case.

Oh, and this is ad hominem, but Hoffman got screwed out of the CYA in 1998. Voters couldn't look past Glavine's 20-6 record. [/and this is coming from the biggest Glav apologist on the board]

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If Carpenter happens to win the award, he should take the trophy to the stadium and beat the shit out of Isringhausen with it.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Just because I'm waiting on someone to send me something, I decided to see how many leads the bullpen blew for Oswalt. I counted five.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Closer should NEVER make the first page of the ballot results.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Starters rarely go 9 anymore. With the way the game is played now, a closer is just as valuable a part of the pitching staff as a starter now. A closer can be every bit as deserving of a CYA as a starter.

In a year with no dominating starters, a closer has every right to win the CYA this season.

Get out of 1968. Starters are important, but other pitchers are, too.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Buckweaver speaks the truth!

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Do you want me to list the flotsam and jetsam that finished with more than 30 saves?

Total bullshit position.

Cy Young Award..... crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted