1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young: Holy close vote, Batman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw him live three times and a number of other times on TV. No offense taken. I said he had a great year.
    If he really should have been in the conversation, maybe he would have made more than one ballot? He showed up on one whole ballot.

And I've amended - put him in the Vasquez-Jurrjens-Hanson trio. They left Lowe in the dust. You can make a case for any of those three I think, including Vasquez, as the Braves best in 2009. I choose Jurrjens. I darn sure don't think Vasquez left the other two in the dust.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I find it ridiculous that all those votes went to Wainwright that should have gone to Carpenter, Haren and Vazquez

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not Haren. No way. Those votes, I can't defend.

4. Moderator1

To me, the top 3 were the three who should have received the votes. But, hell, what do I know?

Does Vasquez belong in a top 10? No question. A top three? Not in my mind.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Why does Wainwright belong there, in your mind?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Not Haren?

What the issue there?

1.00 whip

5.87 K/BB

Incredible.

He had three consecutive shitty starts to end the season. I will give you that.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

2.63 > 3.14 is a huge difference. You know that.

8. Moderator1

19 wins. Led league. Led league in innings, too.
    Strong ERA (not Carpenter strong but I'll take 2.63)
    More than 200Ks

Why does he not? Hell, a dozen folks thought he should win the thing. Not sure they're wrong.

9. Simon_Cowbell

What is 1.00 compared with 1.21?

I don't believe I heard you chirping about ERA so passionately in 1996.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Of course. That's how he operates.

People discounting Carpenter because he pulled an oblique and missed five weeks look pretty silly. It's kind of like saying Koufax isn't a HOFer because his career was too short.

You have to acknowledge dominance with these awards. That's their purpose. Carpenter's adjusted ERA was 183, the best in the NL since 2005 (when roided Clemens was 226). Voting for Lincecum is fine. He probably should have won. Leaving Carpenter off the ballot is inexcusable. He had a higher ERA+ than Johan Santana EVER produced. It was a truly great 192 innings.

11. Simon_Cowbell

I agree with that

Again, I reference 1996

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Aren't you the one who was screaming even louder than me a while back that ERA is by far the most important statistic?

Draft saved Draft deleted