1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young: Holy close vote, Batman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Nov 19, 2009.

1. mb

mb Active Member

Hey, look at me. I made some crazy-ass vote.

--internet sportswriter guy

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2 points.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Look at the numbers, Moddy. Vazquez was the Braves' best pitcher this year. No way he belongs on a ballot ahead of Lincecum, Carpenter or Wainwright, but he was among the top five or six in the NL this year.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You take him. I'll take either Jurjjens or Hanson and kick your ass all year.
    Yeah, he had a hell of a year. Got zippy in run support. Should have had a better record.
    I'll still take either of the other two 10 times out of ten. This year included.

5. outofplace

Give me a choice who I want on my team going forward, it's Hanson, then Jurrjens, and both of them a mile ahead of Vazquez. But he still had a heck of a season.

6. Moderator1

No question. If he gets traded to the Nats, I'll be a happy guy.
    But I still like the other two better, this year, too.

He WILL be the one traded. Lowe is too expensive and Kawakami not good enough to bring value. Hanson and Jurrjens are long-timers there (they hope).

7. outofplace

I agree that Vazquez will be the one to go. I guess it would depend on what you have to give up for him to see if it is worthwhile. Certainly less risky than spending big money on Lackey, who has missed time with injuries the last two seasons.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Jurrgens got less run support than Vasquez. If the Braves score any runs for him, he wins 18-20 games. Can't tell you the number of games he left tied 1-1 or down 0-1, 1-2.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Other than strikeouts, can someone please show me where Lincecum was better than Carpenter this season.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It should've been a close vote. All three of them had relatively even (and equally impressive) seasons.

I would've voted Carpenter-Lincecum-Wainwright probably but I won't lose any sleep over the final result. Lincecum had a very good season too.

11. Moderator1

Better weed. Shared it with the writers.

"Yo. Dude. It's Tim. I got my stash and some munchies. Open the door and let's talk voting."

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ok, that works for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted