1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young: Holy close vote, Batman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Nov 19, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. It still wouldn't have changed the outcome, but Lincecum, Carpenter and Wainwright were as clear as could be as the top three choices. Nobody else should have been on any of the ballots. Carpenter was much better than Vazquez and Haren, who fell apart in the second half again.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lincecum, Carpenter, Wainwright.

There was no one else.

3. mb

mb Active Member

So who voted Vazquez 2nd? Atlanta voter or San Francisco voter trying to game the system?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

It's all marketing. A way to keep MLB in the news during the initial weeks of off-season.

Carpenter got robbed. I can perhaps understand, though not agree, someone might pick Lincecum over Carpenter. But, there's no way in hell, 12 people should have picked Wainwright over Carpenter.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dude!!
    I hope he's not buzzed when he picks it up. He may try to eat the thing. It looks like a Cooler Ranch Dorito.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I know they take a lot of crap around here, and deservedly so, but Deadspin had a great headline when the bust news broke (I'm paraphrasing): "Tim Lincecum nailed in least surprising bust ever."

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was the part that surprised me, Wainwright getting the most first-place votes. That said, you are assuming all of those first-place votes would have gone to Carpenter. Lincecum got 12 second-place votes, so he still might have won even if Wainwright didn't get a single first-place vote.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus and Keith Law of ESPN.com did not include Carpenter on their ballots.

9. mb

mb Active Member

So maybe I'm just not that tuned in, but I thought it was always two voters from each team city.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I think people, right or wrong, are enamored with strikeout totals/rates these days.

That probably factored into picking Wainwright. I mean, it had to; most of Carpenter's other numbers are vastly superior.

11. mb

mb Active Member

Good to see guys taking it so seriously, too ...

Will Carroll

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Vasquez was the third (or fourth) best starter on his own team and someone thought he was second in the league?

I mean, yeah, the guy had a good year. But c'mon.

Draft saved Draft deleted