1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young: Holy close vote, Batman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Nov 19, 2009.

1. mb

mb Active Member

Lincecum: 11-12-9--100
    Carpenter: 9-14-7--94
    Wainwright: 12-5-15--90
    Vazquez?!: 0-1-0--3
    Haren: 0-0-1--1

Wow.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Two in a row. Nice.

I thought Carpenter would get it. Helluva season, and helluva comeback from his injuries.

As for Lincecum, we saw this coming a few seasons ago. He just has It. Halfway home to tying Maddux' record.

3. mb

mb Active Member

Randy Johnson also won four straight.

Gotta figure vote splitting between the Cardinals played a role, considering how close the final tally was.

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I've never understood why this shit takes so long in baseball. The season has been over for how many days now? How long does it take to tally up the votes? Don't most -- if not all -- other sports have their awards announced before the postseason is even over?

I've never been big on awards. Frankly, I don't really give a flying shit who wins what, even if they are on my team.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091115&content_id=7669426&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Lincecum 11 first place votes
    Carpenter nine first place votes
    Wainwright 12 first place votes

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

NHL Awards show is about a week after the final Cup game. Of course, that is also finished in about a two-hour time span.

7. mb

mb Active Member

Wow. So if the St. Louis firsts had been Carpenter with 12 and Wainwright with 9 (assuming a third for Lincecum on each of those ballots), we'd have had a tie.

8. mb

mb Active Member

And Carpenter left off two ballots. Lincecum and Wainwright on all 32.

Vote totals added to first post. Cockpunch for whoever thought Javier Vazquez was the 2nd best pitcher in the NL?

edit: And the 3rd for Haren looks pretty bad, too.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

OK, which voters left Carpenter off the ballot completely? That's silly.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/carpech01.shtml

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Approves...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. mb

mb Active Member

Ordinarily I don't have a huge problem with vote-for-the-local-player guy, but in a vote you know is going to be realllllllly close, WTF are you doing voting for Vazquez or Haren?

Giving a really quick glance at the stats, is there ANYTHING you can argue as to why Vazquez and Haren were better than Carpenter?

/and I can't stand the Cardinals, their fans, or pretty much anything associated with the franchise

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

RT: @OldHossRadbourn: Just had (mercifully) my final chat with Denton True. He's tickled pink. But we wondered: how, then, will the voters err? Howard for MVP?

Draft saved Draft deleted