1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy (with NL MVP threadjack)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 26, 2008.

?

NL Cy Young

1. Webb

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. Lincecum

19 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. Sabathia

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. Santana

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Re: NL Cy Young -- refresh the debate

Given that, you would think that the fact that Santana is finishing so strong for a contender might push him over the top, but I'm wondering how many voters have noticed, since the talk for months has been just Lincecum-Webb.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If Lincecum pitches a shutout tomorrow night, he'll be at 2.5545. Santana is at 2.5348 after his final start today. That's negligible.

It'd be a 5-inning difference. Basically, a tuneup start. Not enough to give Santana the edge -- although Santana coming up HUGE today is, in fact, enough to make a difference, if you so choose.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Lincecum did it despite a dogshit team around him. Santana did it in a pennant race. I don't know which one of them deserves the edge there. I saw a lot of both pitchers and I'd say Lincecum was the more uncomfortable at-bat. It was just harder to put the ball in play against him, as the fewer hits allowed and more strikeouts attest. I guess I'd say Lincecum by a hair.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think you guys are forgetting that Santana sucks.

Sure, he was a nice small-market pitcher, but he couldn't cut it in New York.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Absolute money, Zeke.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It was a money post.

But a post worth $137 million would have begged to stay in a little longer.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Santana's performance today put him over the edge in my mind. The edge in ERA is secondary.

Edit: So true, Zeke. You didn't demand the ball enough there. My admiration for you is suddenly fading.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

This is a good point. The perception is that it was clearly a choice between Lincecum and Webb for the last six weeks or so. I'm not sure how many voters will dump them both in favor of Santana kinda coming out of nowhere.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I can't dispute that.

Although Lincecum's probably been more dominant, all things considered, Santana has come up HUGE in money games down the stretch.

Most outstanding pitcher = Lincecum
    Most valuable pitcher = Santana

Cy Young Award = ?

Can't go wrong either way, at this point.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

One factor in Lincecum's case:

His ERA never rose above 2.79 this season (and that was on July 20). Before his last start, his ERA was leading the league at 2.46. If he played for a better team, he would have had a definite shot at winning the Triple Crown.

Santana's highest ERA was at 3.41 (on May 27), and didn't get it below 3.00 for good until July 27. ... Since then, of course, he's been phenomenal -- 7-0, 1.97 in 12 starts (not including today.)

As Zeke, of course, expected he'd be.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I hereby humbly retract every bad word I have ever said or posted about Johan Sanatna.
    Cy Young Award winner? Hell, he's a freaking GOD!

And now I have to get back to work.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A well-deserved post.

Draft saved Draft deleted