1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ's No.1 girls team DQ'd from state tournament

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 28, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Are you implying that it's racist to question the intelligence of coaches and administrators for their inability to keep track of whether their team played 20 games or not? That's dumb no matter what color you are.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Their appeal was denied.
    http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/03/shabazz_appeal_denied.html

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I graduated from the Newark school system more than 30 years ago, and things were a mess then.

Shabazz is a poor, urban school and it is undoubtedly more difficult to teach in that situation than probably any high school where the posters here have attended. I think it is difficult to imagine how hard it is.

That said, this foul up in completely inexcusable. People had a job to do. They failed their responsibility and they failed the students. And this failure can't be kept under the rug - it's public and it's ugly.

The athletic director is most responsible. Teaching in poor schools is tough, but the athletic director is probably one of the easier jobs at the school. When I was in school, the athletic director would only have to teach three periods a day and could spend the rest of the time on athletic department matters. You schedule, you prepare the buildings, you have security in order, and you try to keep athletic stuff from getting stolen. It isn't as hard as being an English teacher.

If this guy accepted the responsibility and the paycheck, he is responsible. He is supposed to watch the coach and check things.

The principal is second to blame, because she hired a person who wasn't certified. Maybe she couldn't find someone easily - and I don't think this would have been one of the harder positions to fill - but she needed to keep a check on things.

The coach should have known better, but it is interesting that on the first day of the story, she was the only one to step up and talk to the media. For the principal not to talk is disgraceful. And yeah, maybe the media is white and doesn't understand, but the parents of the players aren't and whether they are hard working or hardly working, they are entitled to a detailed apology and explanation.

4. Fixed your post.

I have been around several tremendous high school programs over the last two decades (Central Bucks West football, Eastern field hockey, Boys' Latin boys' lacrosse, Mount Hebron girls' lacrosse, Peddie swimming) and all of them have one very important thing in common: caring, hands-on ADs. They look after the kids, triple-check everything, and KNOW THE FIGGIN' RULES.

This Rumley 'bama doesn't know squad and is probably one of Sharpe James' cronies from the early days of the carjack.

5. See, this is what I'm talking about.

6. Hey, Ike, I lived in the inner city there for 22 years. Sharpe James is dirtier than Richard Daley, Jack Abramoff, and Boss Tweed combined.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Not really. Abramoff affected things on a national scale, and involved several other Congress members. Daley was never indicted and didn't live the lavish lifestyle of Abramoff's cronies. At least with Tweed, there is a classic courthouse and great architectural example which remains in Manhattan. Tweed was a crook, but that was a case where Thomas Nast drew the cartoons about him. The Republicans who ran the publications Nast wrote for were crooked too, and anti-immigrant and bigoted as well.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

In Illinois, I think basketball teams get 18 regular season games, plus three in-season tournaments (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and one more, often a conference tournament).

My alma mater is 30-2 and plays in the sectional semifinals tonight. If they play for a trophy, they'll play 38 games this season. My people host a turkey tourney, in which they play five games, go to a Christmas tourney, in which they can play as many as four games, and a January tournament, in which they play six games.

Edit: My former high school should be playing a team that was DQ'd from the AA state tournament in the regional finals because the school learned (and self-reported) a player on the team played in a YMCA men's league game (or something like that). Kid apparently thought he was playing in a pickup game.
    The school was notified five hours before they were to play for a regional title.

Draft saved Draft deleted