1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ's No.1 girls team DQ'd from state tournament

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 28, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Justice administered, Starman style. Short, simple and accurate. You're right on, Star.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Used to be South Side, years ago.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

One of the teams in my state got into trouble for that a couple of years ago, but they weren't booted from the tournament. I forget how it was resolved, but they went to the state title game that season.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought we would be talking about a bunch of girls with light mustaches and steroids. ::)

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I watched the daughter of a friend in advertising do this not five minutes ago. She's 4.

Seriously, I'm not making it up. (Well, she didn't say "There. Problem solved." She kept counting up to, and past "firty," which is the number after "twenty-nine.")

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That coach damn well knew how many games they played. She probably thought nobody would call them on it.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Let's see....I've played eight games by Jan. 15. I have 12 games left on the schedule.

Gee...I'd better not "pick one up on the run."

The Shabazz adults are morons, pure and simple. And before someone accuses the state of "punishing the kids," they should turn it around and say that the coaches and this bogus A.D. and the principal are the ones punishing the kids.

8. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

didn't somthing like this happen in Jersey last year as well?

9. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

I must be getting soft in my advanced years. I do feel for these girls.

Punish the coach and the athletic directory by suspending them. Make the coach and her staff stay home while the girls compete without any coaching input.

Take it further, and suspend the coach and her staff for the first five games of next season, too.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Except for one thing OneMore...the rule clearly states that if you play more than 26 games prior to the State tournament you are not eligible for the State tournament.
    Clear as can be. No gray area. No room for interpretation.
    End of argument.

and scrub..it was 2 years when two of the top Parochial teams...one boys, one girls...were DQd for having used ineligible players during the season. They went to court and lost.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michigan gets 20 games -- period. With the exception of competition that involves only schools of Michigan or its bordering states and provinces, member schools of the Michigan High School Athletic Association are prohibited from traveling more than 600 miles round-trip for competition or playing schools that have traveled more than 600 miles round-trip.
    In other words, a team from Detroit can play in Pittsburgh, but if a team from California is also playing in the same tourney there, it can;t participate.

Alabama gets 20 games, plus three tourneys -- where ever the hell you want. There are teams playing in the state finals this week who will end up with more games than the NCA champion.

Oh, and the state association gets a cut from every tourney gate -- even if it has nothing to do with post-season... nice racket if you can find it...

12. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

We had a school booted from postseason for too many games during the season. Said school's kids were available for comment (big mistake Shabazz did not duplicate). They said they knew the rules and assumed the coach and AD had special permission. When the kids start saying they can count to 20, why can't the adults? Problems will follow. Of course, at this school, good ole boy network rules apply. Nothing happened to the coach or AD.

Draft saved Draft deleted