1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ's No.1 girls team DQ'd from state tournament

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 28, 2007.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Same thing happened a couple of years ago to the girls team at Hope High School in Chicago. I believe that school finished second in the state then they found out they played too many games with its state finals apperance.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

But that's whwere the Ad and coach have to use some sense. You KNOW the limits going in, you abide by them.

The NJ rule is 20 regular season plus one in-season tourney (Xmas or invitational) and one post-season tournament (i.e., County championship) prior to State tourney, total games before State tourney not to exceed 26.
    And it's been that way for a long time. This is not a new rule.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

EDIT: Found it. That seems like a pretty egregious error. If you know you're going to go deep in the playoffs, why schedule three in-season tournaments? Why not just go with two?

Anyone know if other states have rules like NJ's? Wasn't LeBron James' team's cross-country schedule the trigger for Ohio to adopt a similar policy, like one tournament out of state every year?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Too bad, morons, learn to count.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Politi column today about the AD who's not really an AD is typical of the f'ed up Newark school system.

But for nobody to realize that you've played 28 games when the rule clearly states 26 maximum before the State tournament is absolutle stupidity and incompetence.

I remember a situation about 30 years ago (insert lame age joke here) when one of our teams realized after reaching the County tournament final that it already had played 26 and would be DQ'd from the State if it played the County final (Game 27). So coach gave the players the choice and they decided to forfeit the County final and keep team eligible for the State tournament.

6. How long til they que the lawyers?

Here, whenever there is any sort of athletic dispute, the athlete's representative run to the nearest judge for an injunction.

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

So it's 26 NOT INCLUDING the state playoffs?

That makes it even more stupid that this team messed up!

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My D-II school did one better my junior year.

Rule at the time was 12 football competitions -- games AND scrimmages -- prior to postseason. And our coach scheduled one scrimmage too many. A rival AD caught the error prior to the last regular-season game, which our school needed to make the playoffs. And we had the choice of sitting 13 key players for that game, or playing them and forfeiting the postseason berth.

Our coach resigned immediately.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

26 BEFORE the State tournament. Cut and dried. Black and white. Simple as can be.

And there is no legal recourse on this one Orville. The rule is very clear.

Tourney already has started without them.

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Wow. That's crazy, especially when it involves scrimmages. Inexcusable. I wonder, if your school was a powerhouse, other league schools called to say, "hey, wanna scrimmage?" knowing full well they would be over.

For some reason, I thought the NJ case was prtially excusable because they were over the limit with these county games, which I mistook for playoff games. Ouch.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That won't keep them from trying.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty-three, twenty-four, twenty-five, twenty-six.

There. Problem solved.

Draft saved Draft deleted