1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ Transit approves 25 percent fare hikes on trains, intercity buses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Fares for light rail and other buses go up on 10 percent, according to the Star Ledger.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/nj_transit_approves_higher_tra.html

Who's running that outfit nowadays? Robert Moses? Good grief, going to the city is going to hurt even more. I wish the idea of companies, private or state-run, completely opening their books to the public was more than just a day dream. :mad:

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

But you don't have to pump your own gas, so I'm not complaining /

3. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

If cheaper gas prices meant I'd have to get out of the car, I'm sold. I went to school in Philly, so the concept isn't foreign to me. Still, I'd much rather take the train into the city and forget having to worry about traffic, tolls and parking. Driving into NYC on a regular basis just isn't worth the stress.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not to mention $8 tolls and $35+ to park.

So instead of me paying $6.80 RT for bus to/from the city it will now cost me $8.50. Still very reasonable compared to gas, tolls, parking and traffic hassle.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Want dysfunctional, try the MTA. They've eliminated all sorts of multi-trip discounts. And say what you will about Robert Moses, but he got stuff done. You think the Freedom Tower would still be a hole in the ground if he were around? Granted it would probably go to a Friend of Moses, but it would get built.

Agree with Spnited. Still a better alternative than Driving.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

NJ Transit is public. Its books are wide open for anyone who wants to dig through, as is the rest of the state's spending. Taxpayers subsize NJ Transit travel by $300 million annually. It's never been a huge problem for the budget, because in the grand scheme of things that isn't a huge expense--NJ's entire budget is more than $30 billion. But the state has become a fiscal mess. NJ is running a $2.2 billion deficit, and has a governor who won't raise taxes, so he's being forced to propose spending cuts. The governor's proposal was to cut the $300 million NJ Transit subsidy by 11 percent, or $33 million. Considering his budget has sweeping cuts to programs throughout the state to the tune of $10 billion, its a fair guess that people in NJ are going to find lots of subsidized services they have grown accustomed to that are no longer available.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

And $2.50 for a subway ride is still the best bargain in the city.

8. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Second only to the $10 blow jobs on 75th St.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I ride a bus out of the city and back every day. I don't mind the price. I mind one driver, who's never on time at night as I'm trying to get back over the GW and home. This bastard is routinely 20 minutes late. And he drives every goddamn shift. So if I was waiting for the 6:13, it was him. 8 p.m., him. 9:35 p.m., him. We've had several people actually write letters to NJ transit, complaining about this one guy. And nothing gets done. We know it's him and not traffic or other problems because when he doesn't drive, those particular buses are always on time.

Lately he's been topping himself. He got shifted to a 5:45 bus, instead of that 6:13. So it worked out great for those done at 6, because he'd be 15 or 20 minutes late and he basically created a 6 p.m. bus because of his chronic tardiness. But twice within the last week, the new 6:13 bus has arrived on time...and right behind, coming down the hill, is this obese jerk. HE'S BEEN LAPPED BY ANOTHER BUS. Aaaaagh. So he'll drive right by while the 6:13 stops, and it's inevitably packed while Jabba (our crude, but fitting nickname) cruises by with a bus that looks 90 percent empty. It's infuriating, especially because I'm about 15 minutes from home when I get a ride but it takes an hour each day to get home.

I'll pay more. I just want this man fired.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, it's $2.25. But agree. The MTA is running at such a huge deficit, though, that there is little chance that fares won't be going up soon, in addition to the service cuts that have been prevalent in the last year.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

There's a driver of one of the buses along St. Nicholas who's the same way. Even when it was like 20 degrees in the winter, I'd walk the 12 blocks to my apartment instead of waiting for him and I'd usually beat him to the stop in front of my apartment.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

For me, it is a pre-tax increase of $600 per year, so I'm more than a little pissed. The train line to my town originates in Newark and we've recently gone from 4 trains between 6:45 p.m. and 8 p.m. to 2 trains, which means that if I have not left my office in NYC by 6:40 (which is not always possible even with working at home many nights) I don't get to see my kids before they go to sleep. My service is usually pretty good, although NY Penn Station is so badly designed with its narrow walkways that you feel like a sardine.

Draft saved Draft deleted