1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ state extortion: Insurance surcharge

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I left NJ in 1997. All my traffic/speeding tickets were paid.
    Today they're blocking my license renewal in California because they say I owe them money for insurance surcharges.
    For what? I haven't held a NJ driver's license or auto insurance in that state in 13 years.
    Called the surcharge office at DMV in NJ today, and they couldn't even tell me what I owe. They're computers were down all day.
    They have an office set up just to handle surcharges. That makes me nervous.
    I feel like I just found out I've owed money to a loan shark who has been tallying points daily for 13 years. I can't imagine what this is going to cost me.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Responding to my own post, I just saw an AP story indicating that NJ is having an amnesty program right now:
    No interest or collection fees.
    I still think this practice is wrong, but at least I'm not worrieds about owing thousands of dollars in interest.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Buck - to answer your questions about the surcharges, go here:
    http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Violations/Surcharges.htm

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Scofflaw

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who moved from North Carolina to New Jersey recently was shocked to discover the Garden State has a hamster tax.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Thanks, E. That was a big help. I didn't find that site yesterday.
    It included a link where I could just look up what I owe (just $300, thankfully) and pay online.
    I still think on principle the surcharge system is wrong, but I'm not going to fight over $300.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Glad I could help.

Draft saved Draft deleted