1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ school district mandates helmets for soccer, field hockey & girls' lacrosse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Princeton school district is mandating "soft" helmets for all kids in these three sports due to concussion concerns.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/jersey-school-district-mandates-soft-helmets-soccer-field-102526852.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This does not seem very well thought out when the doctors and the brain injury prevention group are telling them it won't work and may lead to more injuries because of the false sense of security. It appears to be doing something just to say you did something.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How are they going to justify football, if they do this?

4. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Soon bubblewrap will be the standard uniform for kids just to go outside.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. Armchair_QB

Why don't girls' lacrosse players wear helmets to begin with? I know they don't allow checking but that still doesn't make sense.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't see how that headgear provides any real protection from concussions. I wonder if that district will make mouthpieces mandatory for those athletes. I've spoken with plenty of coaches and trainers who think those are every bit as important as any helmet.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It looks like a rugby scrum cap.

9. Armchair_QB

First thing I thought too - minus the cage & plastic frame around it.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not croquet balls, but we used to play with racquet balls.
    We were doing a racquetball unit in gym class. The teacher put up the partitions in the gym, leaving 6-8 of us alone in a closed-off section. Someone fired one at someone else, one thing led to another, and next thing you know it became a daily routine. As soon as the teacher went into the other section of the gym we split up into teams, lined up on either side and .... RACQUET-DODGEBALL!!
    It was a helluva lot of fun. It's also a miracle no one got killed. I caught a richochet off the bleachers that hit me right behind the ear, and my ear was ringing for an hour. I launched one from half a court away once that sailed just over a guy's head. A foot lower and it would've caught him right between the eyes. Most people got hit in the legs and ribs. We had some welts, but nothing permanent.
    Oddly enough, this was in a town not far from Princeton.

11. Armchair_QB

Remember when playing dodgeball wouldn't get you sent to sensitivity training?

12. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Re: NJ school district mandates helmets for soccer, field hockey & girls' lacros

One of my favorite saying is: "There is a difference between being vigilant and being paranoid."

This is an example of being paranoid.

Draft saved Draft deleted