1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ High School Cancels Football Season Amid Hazing Scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If there are players, on their own time, ramming pine cones up each others asses, no, I don't know. But I do know that things are very tightly controlled on the field, in the locker room and on the bus. They don't go to sleepaway camp. My son has reported nothing unusual, nor has he exhibited signs that something untoward is going on. There isn't a hazing culture I've found at his school -- not in football, not in his ROTC, nor in chess, nor in my daughter's speech team, nor in her theater and chorus groups.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They have ROTC in HS? If I had a son I would not let him anywhere near that class given our current
    environment.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

By the way, I'll bite. Once.

You know as well as I do that this is a fatally flawed comparison. These kids were around the hazing, so they did something wrong.

But you go sit at the cool kids' table.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

High school ROTC carries no military commitment. Now the one in college -- which my son also wants to do -- indeed does require military service.

5. Boom_70

See that's the problem. They already have their hooks in him.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bob's kid is a Republican in the making! ;)

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Hardly. Trust me.

Back to hazing, one thing I'll add is the action Sayreville took is highly unusual, in that most schools (and even prosecutors) have been more than happy to address this as boys-being-boys and sweep it under the rug so as not to sully the reputation of the community.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

It's called Junior ROTC isn't it? I know some schools in NJ have had it since 90s if not earlier.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Yes, JROTC, formally.

10. Boom_70

Can't have a conversation of ROTC without thinking of Doug
    Neidemeyer.

[​IMG]

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From the comments and some of the reporter descriptions, it sounds like one heck of a scene at the town hall meeting -- parents and former players (still in their letter jackets years after high school) chasing away the media with physical threats. "Not in our town!"

I didn't know New Jersey football was so All The Right Moves.

12. Boom_70

Now you know how Bruce came up with "Glory Days"

Draft saved Draft deleted