1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ.com: Some Jersey City Muslims did celebrate 9/11, cop and residents say

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No offense, Ace, but I'm waiting to hear from someone a little more tuned in. Where is Baron?

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

LOL. He just left those little bits out by mistake.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No problem. Just trying to give my 2 cents worth. I'm sure Baron will have rolls of pennies throw at this subject.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I just envision YF at holiday parties, drink in his hand, bragging to attendees about how he's on this message board for journalists and "leads them all around by their noses." The attendees listen and nod while thinking, "this guy is whacked out of his fucking mind."

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. Mr. Sunshine

I don't think anyone is dumb enough to admit they frequent a message board for journalists.

old_tony, Dick Whitman, HC and 3 others like this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Stephanopoulos doesn't say that there were "some reports" of celebrations. He tells Trump, "police say it didn't happen."

STEPHANOPOULOS: You know, the police say that didn't happen and all those rumors have been on the Internet for some time.

So did you meek -- misspeak yesterday?

TRUMP: It did happen. I saw it.

STEPHANOPOULOS: You saw that...

TRUMP: It was on television. I saw it.

STEPHANOPOULOS: -- with your own eyes.

TRUMP: George, it did happen.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Police say it didn't happen.

TRUMP: There were people that were cheering on the other side of New Jersey, where you have large Arab populations. They were cheering as the World Trade Center came down. I know it might be not politically correct for you to talk about it, but there were people cheering as that building came down -- as those buildings came down. And that tells you something. It was well covered at the time, George.

Now, I know they don't like to talk about it, but it was well covered at the time.

There were people over in New Jersey that were watching it, a heavy Arab population, that were cheering as the buildings came down. Not good.

STEPHANOPOULOS: As I said, the police have said it didn't happen.

'This Week' Transcript: Donald Trump

7. YankeeFan

Chuck Todd tells us that Trump did more than "merely bend the truth," because there were no celebrations:

CHUCK TODD:

This week, Donald Trump appeared to do more than merely bend the truth.

DONALD TRUMP:

I watched when the World Trade Center came tumbling down. And I watched in Jersey City, New Jersey, where thousands and thousands of people were cheering.

CHUCK TODD:

That 9/11 claim was widely debunked by city officials, factcheck.org, and NBC News. PolitiFact gave Trump a Pants on Fire rating. Still, Trump doubled down.

DONALD TRUMP:

They were dancing in the street. And they were dancing on rooftops. I'm not makin' that up.

CHUCK TODD:

And fact checkers have not been able to stop Trump from saying this again and again.

Reports of celebrations were myth, false rumors. There's no evidence of celebrations:

CHUCK TODD:

All right. Well, let's back up here a minute. Let's go to this Jersey City comment. You said you saw this. Nobody can find evidence of this. And, more importantly, the article that you tweeted out that's backed you up, that in itself, there were three or four different reports that month in New Jersey that said it was a myth that was spread, that it was a false rumor. F.B.I., you name it. Where did you see this?

And Todd lectures him:

CHUCK TODD: Well just because somebody repeats something doesn't make it true.
    You're running for president of the United States. Your words matter. Truthfulness matters. Fact-based stuff matters.

Meet the Press - November 29, 2015

Fact-based stuff matters.

Did Chuck come back to Donald with "fact-based" stuff, or did he just repeat the "reporting" of others?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You don't appear to know what the "it" is that police said didn't happen.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They're both playing oop's stupid "EVIDENCE!" game. We're all losers, here.

But it's interesting to see the "sides" people are taking in each.

10. YankeeFan

The "it" is the report of "thousands" cheering.

But, there's no concession by anyone in the media that any celebrations occurred. Those are chalked up to myth and rumor.

There are no reports of any celebrations.

Even when the WaPo and WCBS-TV reports were uncovered, the reporters walked back their own reports as being unconfirmed.

11. Mr. Sunshine

That's a given.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It is my secret shame ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.