1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nix on Iverson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As Knick fan, I don't see any reason to bring in Ives. He's not going to make them more competitive.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Perhaps this demonstrates that the Knicks brass actually learned something from the Stephon Marbury Era in NYC...

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A past-his-prime Iverson was not going to make this Knicks team competitive without a lot of help.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How about Eddy Curry? Seriously, the Knicks told their fans last week that they wouldn't be in the playoff hunt this year.

"I happen to think that it's not the right place for Allen, either," Walsh said. "I think Allen should go to a team that he can push into a contending situation or a playoff situation."
    -- Donnie Walsh

So I'm thinking, Why the heck should I watch a game on TV, no less spend $400 taking my kid to a game?

But the truth is my son watches essentially every (non-West Coast) Knicks game and I usually watch along with him to keep him company. This season might be the ugliest in a string of ugly seasons before it's over.

All I wanted was to be entertained. This season. And say what you will about him but A.I. is fun to watch.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Hey, it could be worse, you could be my dad. He watches the Timberwolves every night.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's it. I just wanted to be entertained. No pretense of a championship. Iverson would have certainly been more entertaining than watching Chris Duhon who seems to have lost all that mental toughness that was touted endlessy by Dickie V while Duhon was at Duke.

7. cranberry

I assume James Dolan thinks fans should buy tickets this season just to help with the rebuilding effort. You shouldn't really expect good basketball for your $200 or $300 or $400 -- just the good feeling that comes from knowing that you're helping raise funds for a better team in the future.

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

That's absurd. If you made this argument two or three years ago (when LeBron basically took Cleveland to the Finals on his own), I'd agree. But this Cleveland team -- and last year's -- feature an infinitely better supporting cast than anything the Knicks could assemble by next season. Mo Williams, as much as he sucked in the playoffs, is a big-time point guard. Delonte West, when he's not getting arrested, ain't bad either. Varejao is a perfect fit on that team, and Powe and Moon are both solid players. Hickson is a second-year guy with a chance to be a damn good player, and even at age 85, Shaq would be the best big man on the Knicks by a mile.

Take LeBron off the Cavs and they aren't a great team. But assuming you put someone halfway decent in his place, they aren't a 10 win team like the Knicks are about to be.

9. cranberry

Yeah, OK, but have you seen the "new" Eddy Curry?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

THIS JUST IN:
    Allen Iverson announces his retirement from the NBA on Stephen A Smith's website.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Already a thread started for his "retirement", stud.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ryan, you know all of us Virginia guys MUST stick together. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted