1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nix on Iverson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Aside from loot, and I don't believe he's in it for the money only, there is NOTHING that the Knicks can present to James to make the situation attractable. Contrary to popular belief, New York is not the end of end all.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Then there is the absurd idea that LeBron will have more endorsement opportunities in New York. He's already an international brand.
    And if you walk around midtown Manhattan right now, you'll see LeBron on more ads and billboards than any New York athlete.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

But maybe LeBron thinks New York is the biggest thing. We don't know. That's just as likely as thinking he's going to have loyalty to Cleveland just because he's from Ohio.

It's like calling the Garden the mecca of basketball. It sounds absurd to us because of what we've seen from the Knicks the last 10 years and because they haven't won a title in nearly 40 years. But the fact is the players do treat it differently when they play there, guys like LeBron, Kobe, Jordan before them, do put the Garden - and New York - on a pedestal that you wouldn't think it would deserve, considering the recent history.

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

What are ya talking about? Lebron loves the Yankees!!! Of course he's gonna sign with the Knicks.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm going to err on the side of assuming that after a few years in the spotlight, James is not a clueless rube.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, he's clearly hoping for the rebirth of the Condors so he can play in Pittsburgh.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Meaning? I didn't mean he walks around gazing up at skyscrapers and is awed by the guys sketching in Times Square so he's going to run to New York. But players talk about the Garden differently than when they play in other arenas, there are endless quotes affirming that on their trips to play the Knicks. So there is a chance that, yes, playing in new york because it's New York might be part of the appeal for LeBron. It's no more ludicrous than those who insist he's going to stay because he went to high school in Akron, as if he had a choice in 2003 and picked Cleveland over every other team in the league. We'll find out in July.

8. outofplace

Now that would make sense. Even a guy from Ohio would have the sense to prefer Pittsburgh over Cleveland. :)

9. outofplace

Meaning I think he is sensible enough to realize that he doesn't to be in New York just because it is New York. The attention comes to him wherever he is. The Knicks are going to have to give him more reason to come than just the home arena.

10. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

I really hope that the Knicks' biggest signing next year is Steve Nash. Mostly because their three years of obvious tanking would end up landing them ... Steve Nash.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Nash already signed a two-year deal to stay in Phoenix.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Maybe, just maybe Lebron would just rather live in New York City. I still believe he stays in Cleveland but his decision may not just be based on baskeball and who gives him the best chance to win.

Draft saved Draft deleted