1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine-year-old just shot and killed... possibly by 2-year-old

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 23, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Who said it was Fenian? Everyone is jumping on Zag because of his republican view point but he never said anything about bad parenting being liberal parenting.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is what Zag said. Notice the use of the words "liberal" and "parenting."

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yep. Just wen't back and read it.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Maybe the nine-year-old took the two-year-old's tricycle and toy cell phone.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Good for you.

6. zagoshe

I would say that the Bush kids have grown up to be fine young ladies -- yes they went through their rebellious stage as does just about every kid who reaches that 18-22 level -- and the reflection of good parenting is that once kids go through that rebellion they become good, upstanding citizens who make something of themselves and contribute to society in a positive way because that is the way they were raised.

Ditto with Palin family, as by all accounts, Bristol Palin is not a bad kid, just a teen who made a bad choice.

I have far less fear of what havoc a pregnant teen will reek on society than I do the hippy kids of the hippy assholes who live three doors down from me -- you know, the ones who don't believe in spanking, don't believe in yelling or disciplining their children, don't believe their kids should ever want or hurt or struggle and believe that sports and all competition are the devil......

Those kids will be fucked up, scratch that, they already are smartass, ungrateful little brats who need their asses kicked but they won't because mommy and daddy believe asking them how they feel and letting them make their own choices is their primary role as a parent......

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly sure of your point, Zag, but I have this strong urge to spank Bristol Palin.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Hey, my older brother told me an electric outlet was a lock to a secret passageway in my house, and you know how to unlock doors...

9. zagoshe

I'm against locking up teens who haven't yet been involved in violent crimes and/or who have not shown the tendency to be violent -- which, unfortunately the vast majority of our juvenile facilities are full of these kinds of kids.....

Most of these kids get locked up because they get caught on a number of minor drug -- read "the chronic" -- offenses and then, once they get before a judge, their record of truancy and/or tardiness and/or failing grades -- that's when the decision is made to put them in juvenile halls.

My point and was -- if we can get these kids into programs which are treatment based and they are given an oppoportunity, they might have a chance - most of them won't as they'll come out and go right back into a bad environment -- but at least they might have a chance.

If they go to juvenile lock-up they will become criminals and we might as well just lock them up for good.

10. zagoshe

My point is that I look a the kids of the two familes in question and would argue that they all seem to be pretty good kids or in the Bush twins case, kids who grew up to be fine young adults.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the "hippy" kids are ungrateful little brats who need their asses kicked but teens who deal drugs and don't go to school and such deserve treatment, not time in jail.

What's the difference in your mind?

12. zagoshe

Actually, Fenian, why do you think I became a Libertarian in the first place? I've seen our "essential government programs" in action, up close and personal and have no problem saying that most of our government-funded social services are a scam.

I've written grants for these programs, I've attempted to allocate funds for these programs and I got to the point where I realized that (a) the bulk money ain't going to help those it is supposed to, nor will it ever and (b) you can't help people who don't care as much about getting it right as you do.

My wife and I still volunteer plenty -- though in recent years because we've had kids we had to curtail it -- but my no. 1 rule for getting involved in an organization is (a) what percentage of the money goes to the cause and how much of it goes to salaries, benefits and the other silliness that is always a part of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted