1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine-year-old just shot and killed... possibly by 2-year-old

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Good one.

Anyway, tell us the story again. You lived in a bad neighborhood and there were, I believe, machine-gun-toting teens in your neighborhood and you confronted one on your porch one day? Is that correct?

I just want to get my facts straight.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What 2-year old is left in a house without supervision and given the opportunity to pull the trigger? And what person who has a 2-year old and a 9-year old in the house leaves guns laying around unlocked and/or not hidden?

That's bad parenting 101.

3. I think what the question was is why bad parenting is necessarily liberal.
    The semi-dysfunctional Palin family of Wasilla, AK, and the wholly dysfunctional Bush family, would both mitigate against the argument, I think.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No I never confronted any of them.

However, I did take a number of them under my wing and try to get them out of that lifestyle by being a mentor, starting with putting together a basketball program and moving into a number of other ventures, some successful, some not so successful.

I also volunteered as a "community parent" and attended numerous meetings of of the community gang task force and we tried tried to help stem the tide of murders as well as get kids off the streets and into community programs.

I also ran a young fathers group for a number of the gang members who had kids and we focused on trying to (a) get them back into schools or GED programs and (b) get them to understand the basics of being a father now that they had a child.
    I also volutenteered as an advocate for families with teens in trouble and often went to family court and because of the credibility I had due to all of the volunteer and community work I was involved with, was sometimes able to divert kids to treatment-based -- as opposed to lock-up-based -- programs.

Now what was your question again?

In other words, please get some new material as this "gun-toting teens" schtick is not only lame, it is tired and worn out.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The more guns you surround yourself with, the more likely it is you or someone you care about will get shot.

6. I sure hope none of those programs took any government money, or were connected in any way to any government programs, including the police, because that would be unfortunate.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Except by accident by you or someone you care about.

8. That's a great story -- and I don't believe a word of it.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Zag,

Why are you against locking up unschooled, sex-crazed, gun-toting gang members?

You usually seem so tough on crime and personal responsibility.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Bad pareting, indeed. But what has that got to do with "liberal psycho-babble."
    Chances are those who would own guns and leaving them laying around for their kids to play with are anything but liberals.
    Most likely, psycho right-wing lunatics.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Electric outlets don't kill people. Brothers who tell their younger brothers that they are really piggy banks kill people.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yes.

It is.

And without a gun, two kids are alive from that house, and not just one.

Draft saved Draft deleted