1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine-year-old just shot and killed... possibly by 2-year-old

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Zag, how come:

You favor no sex over controlled sex (i.e., abstinence over using/not using a condom or birth control).

But you favor controlled guns over no guns?

Seems to me it's awfully hard to get pregnant without some sexual fluids involved.
    Likewise, it's awfully hard to have gun death without, you know, a gun involved.

Seems like you're contradicting your logic.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh God, this is a ridiculous stretch, even for the pathetic wing of the SportsJournalists.com liberal mafia.....

Adults having sex as well as adults owning guns are similar in only one way -- they are both no business of the government.

Other than that, this was an asinine attempt to draw a parallel between two completely unrelated topics and required you to bend and stretch in so many directions that you've turned yourself into a pretzel.

And to quote the president of the SportsJournalists.com liberal mafia --

Do Better.

Much Better.

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Liberal mafia?

You might want to check my past posts.

I'm more conservative than liberal and more independent than either one.

Still, I believe it's a legit parenting question.

It's hard to get pregnant if you don't have sex.
    It's hard to drink and drive without alcohol (drink) or car (drive).
    It's hard to kill someone with a gun if the gun doesn't exist.

If you take the decision-making out of someone's hand (preach not having sex, preach guns should be banned), then it makes it near impossible for someone to make a bad decision.

As much as you seem to favor rehabbing folks in bad situations over hippies who allow kids too much freedom, you also seem to be in favor of a "if you make a bad decision, you might not be the only one it hurts" type of regime.

Me rather, I'd take the decision (owning a guns) away and not have to worry about the repurcussions (hard to have any gun deaths if there are no guns on the street).

If no one has a handgun, no one NEEDS a handgun.

Living in a big hunting state (Kentucky), I really couldn't see banning shotguns.

I also can't see a 2-year-old having the strength and aim to kill a 9-year-old with a shotgun, either. I also can't remember the last time I've read a story about a kid accidentally killing someone with a shotgun (handgun accidents in the house? More common).

4. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Didn't we just have this thread a few weeks ago?
    And what the fuck does the Palin chick having a kid got to do with a kid blowing away another kid?
    Jesus, if this is what modern discourse is like, no wonder this country is fucked. It always turns into a fucking politics thing. For fuck's sake, come up with something new.

Guns are out there. Pandora's box is open. They can't be un-manufactured. No government in the world will ever confiscate them all because of the sheer number. The only sensible way to deal with it is to make sure people are educated about how to properly store guns if they're going to have them. It's a matter of personal responsibility, which is a dirty concept in this country.

That, and shit happens. Somebody else will get blown away in days or weeks, you'll all be outraged again, and nothing will have changed from today.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Stick around long enough and you'll find a whole bunch of topics that pop up regularly like hardy perennials.

This is one.

Global warming, Wal-Mart and capital punishment are a few others.

Shampoo. Rinse. Repeat.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, there are several conservatives on here who aren't considered "right-wing nut jobs." Every RWNJ has earned that designation.

7. You know from personal experience, in my case, that'snot ture.
    C'monm junk.
    And bad parenting has nothing to do with someone's political ideology.

Draft saved Draft deleted