1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine-year old boy's home-built cardboard arcade

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TowelWaver, Apr 13, 2012.

1. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I saw this story on another message board and thought it was incredibly heartwarming--a nine-year old boy named Caine built an arcade out of cardboard in his dad's lightly-traveled East LA auto parts store. He determined the mechanics of making the games playable, how to dispense the tickets, how to manage fun passes, etc...and it was really well-thought-out for a boy of that age. A passing stranger found the arcade when he stopped in to buy a part for his car, played some of the games, was taken in by the boy's story and got the Internet involved. The rest is captured on a video (link below) which I won't spoil further. It's 11 minutes long but well worth the time investment.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

That's a heck of a kid. Thanks for sharing that.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I read about this the other day. Such a great story.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love this. Thanks for posting.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's amazing. The part with the ticket dispensing just about had me splitting my cheeks with a smile.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Can I buy stock in this kid? That's about the most creative thing I've seen.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Had to be done ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. imjustagirl

I just listened to that song the other day. Still love it.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The PIN system for validating Fun Passes is ingenious!

10. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

That is awesome, Versatile!

I can't help but echo the comments everyone has made as well. This story really resonated with me because at that age I remember how exciting it was to do things like drawing homemade maps or making potholders out of fabric loops, and then selling them at our family's garage sales for anywhere from a dime to a quarter. But the amount of creativity at work here is just astounding...not to mention the obvious hard work that the boy put in to make his idea a reality! It's just fantastic to see how much joy he's taking from the experience.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey, take it easy with the cheek-splitting talk. This is a family thread.

12. imjustagirl

Hey I was doing it with a smile!

Draft saved Draft deleted