1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine teens charged in bullying suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Mar 30, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

My God, do you people have any shame.

This is a thread about a serious tragedy and you turn it into a pissing contest, how could you?

What is your problem, I would never engage in such behaviour..... :mad:

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You think violent crimes are increasing in this country, specifically among children. That is wrong. It's really no more complicated than that.

3. RickStain

It's a significantly more accurate source that "Junkie's memory" is. Since you don't seem to be interested in providing any data that shows that violence is going up, I think it'll have to stand as the best evidence we have.

4. RickStain

Whether or not these things are happening with increasing frequency is important to why they happen. And why they happen is important to what we should do about them, which is a discussion we should all be having as a society.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think Zag just made a joke.

7. RickStain

That data is 18 years out of date. Coincidentally, it coincides with when the national violent crime rates peaked in the early 1990s as well.

Here's more recent data that shows in a number of different ways how violent youth crime has been dramatically declining since that peak in the early 1990s:

http://youthviolence.edschool.virginia.edu/violence-in-schools/national-statistics.html

8. RickStain

Well that's no fun. I have a whole empty night ahead of me with nothing to do now :(

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it's funny that the same types of folks who would probably complain about incompetence in public schools and especially in the administration would eagerly give those same folks the power to knock the crap out of their kids with a block of wood.

Ah, progress.

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Not sure how we're defining "violent crimes" but my wife is a teacher. I know many police officers, some of whom work closely with schools that are part of a large public school district.

My wife, a teacher for more than two decades, her colleagues, and the police all agree that they are seeing more incidents of violent behavior (student v. student) than ever before. And the level of violence/cruelty has reached frightening levels.

Not sure where that fits on any chart, but it is their daily experience.

11. RickStain

I'll add that to the national data I posted and see if it changes anything.

calculating
    calculating

Not really.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It all depends on the school. I have seen some high schools where if a kid carried a pocketknife into the hallway, there would be a fainting spell and probably a expulsion.

I have seen others where I wonder how the kids and teachers make it through the day without losing a limb.

Draft saved Draft deleted