1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine teens charged in bullying suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Getting licks at school was okay and acceptable until 1990.
    How is not okay now?
    I will let administrators know at each level of my 4-year-old's education to be prepared to hand out licks.

I'll tell them to let me know first, if there is inappropriate behavior. If we try to work it out at home, and the problem persists at school, licks is what my daughter (or son if I had one) can expect from the principal.

The message will somehow be delivered to her that she is not to misbehave.
    No messages are being sent to way too many kids now.
    None whatsover.

And, yes, this story is all about a parenting problem.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And this is why the school documents the bullying, documents informing a parent and if nothing is done, they call the police and press charges.

And you are spot on to realize that it is not the meatheads of the world doing the bullying. It's the rich kids with the nice clothes.

Jesus, they had suspended this bully once. A school division really cannot do much more than that. At this point the police need to become involved.

This is just a fucking shame.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Progress. We know a lot more about behavior than we did in the past, and even by 1990, it was just a leftover from people who choose to remain ignorant about what does and does not work.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Do we know a lot more? Not sure that's the case, and if it is, all that knowledge doesn't seem to be doing much good.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

To each his or her own, Rick, and believe me, there are many educators and parents I've talked to who don't believe in corporal punishment, for many of the same reasons we are seeing on this thread.
    There are a lot more people I've talked to, though, who think it never hurt anyone and it sent a message that was all too often well-received and memorable. A lot more.
    It's just me, but I'm not a time-out and in-school supsension person when none of that has worked.
    You graduate, in my world of accountability, to the point that more serious messages have to be sent.
    Start, sure, with time-out. But eventually (and sooner than later) you make it clear that what's happening is intolerable, unacceptable, and not allowed.

Hell, we're promoting kids that don't know the material, and setting them up for failure down the road, all in the name of No Child Left Behind.

We got adequate educations when I was in school, in the 70s and 80s. Lots of licks were handed out, but most folks only went through it once before they wised up.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

That's a big generalization, IMO. I agree that bullies are not just "meatheads." But I would argue this is less about "rich kids" than it is popular kids who just want to increase their social status by picking on unpopular students. Rich, poor, whatever...

7. RickStain

Sorry, I'm just not a big fan of anecdotal evidence. It's a very poor way of understanding how the world works.

Most of what you just typed was just "kids these days aren't as good as kids in my days" syndrome.

Everyone "just knows" that kids these days aren't keeping up in school, are being more violent, are out-of-control. Mostly because incidents like the one that started this thread make for national news now and not just local gossip.

But objective data keeps telling us that kids are actually smarter, less violent and generally making better decisions than ever before.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If people think that corporal punishment will work, good luck trying to implement that in an inner-city school.

If a principal or teacher tried to swat some 13-year-old with a ruler or a pointer, that kid would be pulling a gun on them in no time. This is not the 1950s. Kids aren't going to take crap from anyone nowadays.

What these kids need is a required 'Scared Straight' program at an early age (10 or 11 would be appropriate).

Bring them all to a prison and have some (trusted) inmates scream the hell at them. Tell them that if they fuck up, they'll be the ones getting the shit kicked out of them. If that doesn't work, rinse and repeat.

Then, when there's issues of bullying, the school can remind the kids that if they don't cut it out, they'll be explaining themselves to the police.

Like Crash Davis said, they're kids. Scare them.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Corporal punishment, for sure, needs to start at home.
    Many parents have dumbed down their in-house procedures for discipline and the kids never feel the lash.
    The other side of the coin:
    It worries me deeply sometimes, mulling whether to tell a parent after school, from some (but not all) of the inner-city San Antonio schools, that little Johnny acted up.
    Little Johnny's not gonna get a belt or switch to the behind. Little Johnny's gonna get it in the face, the ribs, wherever.
    It's case-by-case, but some of what I see are the too-young parents or alcoholic parents or abusive parents or third-generation-welfare parents who worry the crap out of me.

There are so many elements to examine with the issue of child discipline.

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

How does a kid learn that it's OK to call another kid a whore? From their parents. Whether it's directly, hearing dad, uncles, brothers, use that kind of language when talking about women, or from watching it on TV, unfiltered and unsupervised, it's the parents that allow their children to learn such behavior. If I see my kids even remotely treating another child disrespectfully, I correct. If I see another kid behaving questionably around my children, I correct the misbehaving child. And I make sure the parents know I am correcting behavior.
    This is about responsibility and accountability on the parents part.

11. RickStain

I never in my life heard either of my parents say anything worse than "dang it," and I had a pretty filthy mouth at that age.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From the Baron's speaker's bureau.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted