1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine teens charged in bullying suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It may be a parent problem, but the parent's don't necessarily know that their kids are calling some girl a whore at school.

If the teachers or administrators hear that or the girl complains, the teachers/administrators need to take action and be serious.

You can't rely on the hope that the parents of the name-caller are going to take it seriously.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So you'll put it on their permanent record?
    That'll stop it. A lot of bullies have no college aspirations. Hell, my bully in middle school was a cop's son. Somehow, I doubt a police report would have gone very far.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

And he's probably a cop now so he can continue to bully people.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hate cop's kids. One actually ratted me out to the cops once.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure what his day job is, but I know he and his brother are regulars on the small-time racing circuit (legends cars, midgets, that sort of thing) on the East Coast.
    I'd love to pour some sugar in that fucker's gas tank before a race.
    Sugar and a stick of dynamite.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ace - I've felt bullied by you and your henchmen since I've joined SJ. Thank God that 21 took pity and invited me to have lunch at her table.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a lie. I cannot afford henchmen. Best I can do is lackeys.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Most bullies do have college aspirations, actually.

Bullying has changed. It's not Meathead behind the school anymore. It's kids who, in some circumstances, aren't acting out the classic bullying archetype so much as revealing a really warped (and I'd argue sophisticated) value system.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Correct. In this case, it wasn't Biff waiting at the water cooler to punch someone. It was mostly girls (and the guys who love them) targeting someone they felt was a threat to their turf.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In the case of Phoebe Prince, the only reason I can think the DA did NOT file criminal charges against anyone at school for blowing off complaints is because it would be so hard to get a conviction.

And speaking of parents, a mother of one of the "Mean Girls," says, what's the big deal?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/03/30/2010-03-30_mom_of_teen_charged_with_bullying_south_hadley_hs_student_phoebe_prince_into_sui.html

The mother of one of the "Mean Girls" charged with bullying 15-year-old Phoebe Prince to death defended her daughter Tuesday, saying she never lifted a hand against the tormented girl but just "called her names."

Angeles Chanon admitted that her daughter, Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16, had once been suspended from school for verbally abusing Phoebe - but blamed the bullied girl for starting it.

"(Sharon) exchanged a couple of words with her," Chanon told the Boston Herald. "Phoebe was calling her names. They're teenagers. They call names."

Chanon insisted her daughter never "physically assaulted" Phoebe, no matter what the District Attorney says.

"I know she knows better than that. I wouldn't accept that," she said.

What ding-dong mom doesn't get is that constant harassment -- yes, name-calling, can be just as bad, or worse. If it was one incident, or occasional run-ins, that's one thing. But this was a concentrated, extended period of harassment. And it's criminal and unacceptable even if Phoebe Prince didn't kill herself.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm being too picky here, but shouldn't the lead be reworked to specify that they weren't charged with "coercion" or anything else related specifically to the suicide?

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

All I can say is good. I hope they rot and a message is sent.

It is tough to say the teachers or the parents failed more, end of the day they both failed miserably.

You don't have to resort to corpral punishment - you suspend kids (none of that in-school suspension crap), you get the cops involved, and if that fails you boot them out.
    And any parent that says, oh it just kids being kids, needs to pull their head out of their ass. Little Johnny or little Suzie is not a complete angel and may in fact be a complete piece of shit that needs to be dealt with and disciplined and probably at the very least needs some counselling.

Draft saved Draft deleted