1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine teens charged in bullying suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Mar 30, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But you can pare down the people you get status update from. I have done that.

And if IJAG says something about me in a hallway, only the people in the hallway hear it (not see it mind you). On FB, what was "said" can be viewed over and over again. Sort of like spraypainting something about you on a wall.

Plus, when you say something in a hallway, do people randomly raise their thumbs in the air to agree with you?

I think FB adds so many dynamics to what is already a fragile social frame, that it really could hurt a person. I do think FB is great, but it does need to be monitored.

Funny thing is there is a rumor that, the kid that founded FB was a camper at the camp I was waterfront director at in the 1990s and 00s.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

A lot of things can really hurt a person, and you absolutely knew what kids thought about you in high school before that (or at least, I did and all the girls I know did - again, maybe it's more a girl thing).

"Only the people in the hallway can hear it" means nothing to a teenage girl. Those people are obviously going to tell their friends, and their friends friends and so forth. The whole school will know (at least in your mind), and that matters a whole lot more than the rest of the world.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You got me, well done. I will also teach them the difference between Frank and Leo Mazzone.

You are an incredible bore.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't you mean, boor?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Getting basic punctuation and spelling wrong is worse than getting a pitching coaches' name wrong.
    This is, after all, a journalism site. Can't we at least show we know the basics?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Your asking too much.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

NY Times had a good column today, that I am too lazy to go find the link to, from an expert on bullying. Said there is nothing wrong with harsh punishments and anti-bullying programs, but the real key is a dogged commitment to teaching children inclusiveness and empathy from a very young age. That's the tried-and-true method for getting results in lowering bullying in a school district.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True.

And in that perfect world we would not be killing each other over drugs, oil and religion.

We live in a different world though and you need to safeguard, and combat, people, who will always be with us, not using FB correctly.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just did a quick check when I logged on today. On the first page (which is all I ever see), this was the breakdown:

10 status updates
    9 game updates
    7 "is now friends with" or "likes"
    6 links
    2 other random apps (fortune cookie, etc.)
    1 photo

So I guess I underestimated it. But no, I don't see many status updates.

Draft saved Draft deleted