1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine teens charged in bullying suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Mar 30, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/36096015#36096015

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36099680/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?gt1=43001

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/30/massachusetts.bullying.suicide/?hpt=T1

Nine Massachusetts teenagers have been charged with involvement in a monthslong campaign of bullying that led to the January suicide of a 15-year-old girl, a prosecutor said.

It's about damn time.

Too long in this country, excuses have been made for teen behavior that should be seen as unacceptable. Maybe, just maybe, we are going back to things actually being a fault of the people that do them.

A lot of people should go down for this. A lot.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Important to note that they were charged with crimes that they could have been charged with whether or not she killed herself.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just another example of the pussification of this country! Why didn't this girl stand up for herself? I guess the ACLU hotline was busy or she would have sued them for emotional distress.

/sjdotcom knights of the keyboard

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It didn't take my recent entry to the education game to come to this conclusion: Teachers, administrators and educators of any kind who stand to the side and allow bullying or coercion by students need to go ahead and retire from the system. They should be called to carpet, as it seems several will in this instance, and charged with a crime.
    Also, as fun as it is to deal with kids who get guidance and discipline at home, it is conversely a pain in the ass to deal with those shit-headed, misguided, arrogant, disruptive, undisciplined ones who think they own the world.

Bring back corporal punishment/accountability to schools and a lot of discipline problems cease to exist.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll throw a provocative statement out there for people t
    Let's call the whole profane region of New England to the carpet while we're at it. You can walk about ten feet in any city of any size there and hear some form of disgusting vulgarity. Usually sexual. Sometimes racial. Always profane.

Talking to a friend recently whose son goes to school back East. His comment? "It's like everybody out there thinks they're in 'The Departed.'"

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You need to get out more.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Corporal punishment? Allowing other adults to hit your child is ridiculous.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I agree.

But if threats are made and continue to be made after school administrators document the bullying and address the parents and students, the police should be called.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is a really sad tale. And the problem is that the victim can do little to protect or defend herself.

You could knock the crap out of a bully. That might stop it. Might make it worse. You might get in bigger trouble.

The only way it will stop is if adults step in and take it seriously.

Then you will have people whining about being too PC.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As ridiculous as letting your child abuse another one physically or emotionally?

In the old days, the teachers would beat a child's ass for misbehaving. Then when the parents found out, they'd beat the child's ass for misbehaving.

We need to get to a point where there's accountability. What we have now isn't working.

11. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Teach violence as a solution to problems/bad behavior?

Uh..no.

I worked in an inner-city school several years ago where it was pretty obvious off-the-books corporal punishment was going on. It had zero effect on the behavior of the students.

As far as this case... good that these punk-asses are going to learn that there are consequences for actions like theirs. Any administrator who had knowledge this was going on and did nothing should be fired.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

accountability is one thing but no adult is laying there hand on my child. That is for me to do(if I choose) and nobody else. There are lots of ways to hold a kid accountable without letting a teacher hit the kid. First and formost it starts with there own parents and if they won't do anything get the cops involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted