1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine for IX: Let them wear towels

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Debate all you want regarding Lisa Olson being or not being involved, it is good to see that the topic was used. Plus, they did a nice job with it.

Could you imagine being a woman and having to wait outside the locker room to get your quotes? How did they ever meet their deadlines?

As for the Pat Summitt episode, it was a little flowery for me. It would have been nice to really get into her personality and rivalries. She is an awesome topic, but to have her son basically narrate the thing was a little over the top. Still, I enjoyed it.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Watched LTWT last night. Liked it. There were some true Neanderthals involved with sports back then (now, they're just A-holes, I guess.)

Interesting to note how much plastic surgery Lesley Visser has had done.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I thought this as well. I mean, I was fine with the flowery stuff being in there, but I also would have liked to have seen her early-onset advanced Alzheimer's addressed more, and more directly, perhaps with a doctor or expert in that area, as well as by her son or others close to her.

Because, having interviewed Summitt in person just a few years ago, it was shocking to see the change -- the aging and apparently very quick and obvious onset of something drastic in the little more-recent screen time they had with her in the episode.

She has apparently gone from the vibrant, outgoing, aggressive and strong person I remember and enjoyed talking to so much to what appears to be almost a shell of herself seemingly overnight.

I'd have liked to have seen/heard some perspective/information on what, really, does a person with this condition at this stage experience, and why, and what are the first-hand realities of it.

Although we all have heard of Alzheimer's, I realized as I watched that I knew intellectually what it was, and I could/did say, "Oh, yeah. That's so tragic." (of course).

But not having experienced dealing with it personally at all (yet), I really honestly was taken aback at what I saw of her, and I would have liked to have heard discussions of what was happening on the sidelines those last few months she tried to keep coaching, and how her stepping down was handled by Tennessee. I would have liked to have seen some expert analysis/explanation of what goes on with her condition, and whether she has been very typical, or not, or what, instead of the whole episode only being a look back at an undisputably amazing career.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bowie Kuhn was a twat. That is all.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Charlie O. Finley agrees.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Caught portions of this via a rebroadcast Sunday morning. I was flipping between it and Charles Osgood's program.

Question: I saw some interviews with female NHL writers. Did I miss Helene Elliott? Or would that been ahead of her time covering the Kings?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Having witnessed two family members who suffered from Alzheimer's, I can assure you that it is a terrible thing. The person's mind and personality just changes drastically. It's heartbreaking to feel so powerless to do anything about it.

Like with most illnesses, there are varying degrees, from extremely mild to extremely severe, so different people may vary quite widely.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Much ahead of her time. And I thought they missed a couple of pioneer sportswriters in Northern California, like Susan Fornoff and Stephanie Salter. But it's ESPN so it has to be all about the East Coast.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Katarina Witt is featured tonight. Set DVRs.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, looking forward to seeing that one. She always struck me as somewhat fascinating.

Draft saved Draft deleted