1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NINE firefighters die in S.C.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Excepting 9/11, I can't recall this many firefighters perishing on a call.

Am I off base?

What an awful way to go (at least physically).

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/charleston-fire/20070619012109990001

The Associated Press
    CHARLESTON, S.C. (June 19) -- Nine firefighters died in a blaze that swept through a furniture warehouse in a disaster the mayor described Tuesday as "difficult to fathom or quantify."

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Jeebus that's awful.

I'm assuming the roof collapse is to blame for the deaths, although the story didn't say.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know a former volunteer fireman in Charleston. He helped train one of the guys who died. He got a call from his mother this morning when she heard about the fire. First thing was to ask if he knew anyone. Then to tell him she was so happy he wasn't a fireman any more.

RIP to those who are gone and keep those left behind in your thoughts.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Six firefighters died in the Worcester (Mass.) warehouse fire in 1999 -- that's the last fire with multiple casualties that immediately comes to mind.

5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

No, I imagine this must be among the worst incidents in modern history...

There were 106 firefighter fatalities in 2006, but 54 involved heart attacks or overexertion and 19 involved vehicle crashes. Five firefighters died from roof collapse.

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/txt/06-fatality-summary.txt

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/fireservice/fatalities/statistics/ff_stats.shtm

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There have been multiple deaths several times in the recent past fighting wildfires in the west. I think at least nine at Glenwood Springs, Colo., in 1994, and four or five several years ago.

Big fire in Seattle several years ago killed four or five as well, I think. It's a dangerous job.

7. Big Game

Big Game Member

The picture linked in Simon's post pretty much sums it all up. If you're able to keep a dry eye, considering what happened, you're a stronger man than me.

RIP.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow, BG.

When I first posted that, that leadoff photo was not up yet.

Gut-wrenching imagery.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

What a fucking day here.

Second bomb to fall
    What's next? Do I dare look to the tropics?

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Fortunately, if you can call it that given how awful this is, arson is not suspected in the Charleston fire.

11. That Ravenel story is a real doozie, Mustard, from what I've been hearing today. PM me if you want to know more.

But here's a funny little story: There were a lot of nervous people in the House and Senate early this afternoon when it was announced that an elected official was going to be indicted. Everyone exhaled when they found out it was Ravenel.

Draft saved Draft deleted