1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike To Jimbo's Kid: Lose The Under Armour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 2, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe UA is behind it, free publicity

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The Big Ten university I attended, and from reading your posts, AQB, I think you are pretty well acquainted with them, too, you can walk into their official team shop and take your pick of Nike, Under Armour and even adidas branded gear. Only the Nike is the official on field supplier, of course, but it isn't exclusive across the whole athletic department.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Generally when Nike does a deal with a school they redesign the unis/logos whatever then have exclusive use of the logos for two or three years for articles Nike makes (clothing, hats etc.) . After that, the rights revert to the school.

4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Curious what events previously indicated Fisher is a "spineless lackey?"

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes, it's much more gracious to piss in the face of a sponsor whose money is one of the reasons you are able to make $4.1 million a year (not counting incentives).

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If I were Nike I would have been more put off by Fisher's wife
    truck stop waitress style gum chewing.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When you work with The Mafia you play by The Mafia's rules.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Except The Mafia said family isn't subject to the rules.

9. BTExpress

And it's not a "rule" The Mafia was trying to enforce.

It was a polite request, one that FSU says it didn't even relay to Fisher, who may or may not have caught wind of it anyway (hence the change afterward).

Nothing wrong at all with the polite request being made. And if Fisher did hear of it, he probably thought, "Yeah, I can see how that would be awkward" and did something about it. Not that he HAD to, of course. He could have just stood his ground, for no reason other than spite. Which is usually a shitty reason to do anything --- let alone against people paying you tons of money for wearing a logo.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The game was the thing.
    A boy's choice of clothes should not be a thing.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's Nike. They make up the rules as they go. This is the bunch which demanded a bunch of schools send back their sideline gear last year in exchange for new gear because the existing gear didn't have enough swooshes on them.

Probably didn't help that FSU had just finished playing an Under Armour school in that game.

12. BTExpress

The game brand was the thing.

The brand is everything. Everything else is secondary. Check out what Novak Djokovic did at the French Open when a letter of a sign fell to the ground.

[​IMG]

Hmmmm, wonder why he went to all that trouble.

[​IMG]

Ah, that's why.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted